From QB64 Wiki
The NAME statement changes the name of a file or directory to a new name.
- NAME old_filename$ AS new_filename$
- Filenames are variables or literal STRINGs in quotes. Paths can be included.
- Long filenames can be used in QB64 only! Qbasic requires the DOS 8.3 (folder maximum of 8) naming convention.
- If the two paths are different, the statement moves the original file to the new path and renames it.
- If the path is the same or a path is not included, the original file is just renamed.
- SHELL can use "REN " + filename$ + " " newname$ in DOS.
- Path or filename errors are possible and should be handled in the program.
- CAUTION: There is no prompt to continue or execution verification!
NAME "BIGBAD.TXT" AS "BADWOLF.TXT"