Author Topic: please read  (Read 301 times)

• Email
please read
« on: October 27, 2012, 09:40:08 PM »
I was thinking about making a list of math formulas for computers because it is really annoying to derive them every time you need them.
For example how to solve a system of equations without using loops, witch takes forever, is simply x = (b1 - b2)/(m2-m1), but it takes time to derive them each time.

But I am not sure were to post it because it is not really a  library.   

iamdenteddisk

• Email
Re: please read
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 10:11:37 PM »
such would be considered a math library.

DarthWho

• Timelord of the Sith
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 11:28:22 PM »
(disclaimer these are my definitions)
there are two types of math libraries that exist those that implement additional features that are not easily included in the code; then there are the type two libraries which are a list of formulae that are easy to implement directly in the code but which are used repetitively by the creator of the library;

your library falls into the category of a type 2 while to give an example my Fastmath library is mostly a type 1 as it implements features which are into easily available with constructs you can generate directly in the QB64 Code of your program.
Rassilon: My lord Doctor; My lord Master; My lord DarthWho
The Doctor and the master at the same time :WHAT!?!?!

FastMath 1.1.0 released: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12359848/fastmath.h

iamdenteddisk

• Email
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 01:44:35 AM »
do either of your guys library's cover advanced mathematics like electrodynamic potentials or static potentials or advanced statistical analysis?

I can see use of a lib where there is focus, like say an EET lib or statistics lib. but I think an all encompassing library would only be added bloat for most programmers making focused projects. why not just post a thesis or artical covering a bulleted list of topics? from there users could pic and choose things requisite to add/include  to the compile..

one could even structure a library to use modual's. and the end user could pick from topics drop the modual's in a train car and compile..

just spent my 2 cent's on it..

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 11:45:54 AM »
I was thinking about making making bullied topics like systems, graphs, 3d graphs, equation solver( still in work), optics, etc

White them in code, so that they can easily be used as a sub or change the name of variables and put it right in the code.

• Email
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 12:42:42 PM »
Does anyone know how to edit my account, so people can email me.
I want to make it, so people can email me any problem they want me to work on, since this is something that should grow with time.

btw I was not done typing the last post; my computer started acting up and I had to reset it. 

Clippy

• I LOVE π = 4 * ATN(1)    Use the QB64 WIKI >>>
    • Pete's Qbasic Site
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 01:31:39 PM »
Go up to Profile and into account settings. Email is the first thing.
QB64 WIKI: Main Page
Download Q-Basics Code Demo: Q-Basics.zip
Download QB64 BAT, IconAdder and VBS shortcuts: QB64BAT.zip
Download QB64 DLL files in a ZIP: Program64.zip

DarthWho

• Timelord of the Sith
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 03:03:09 PM »
well I am working on a single variable Calculus library for qb64... I call it FastCalcSV... but I am not sure that is the type of thing you are looking for iamdenteddisk... (side note if i were better at parsing than I am currently then it would probably be done already... unfortunately... I am still stuck on the Shunting yard algorithm (though I have gone through and gotten the underlying polynomial Integration and Differentiation stuff done as well as some work concerning SIN COS and EXP and a rough implementation of the chain rule working (that seizes up from time to time)))
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 03:13:02 PM by DarthWho »

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 03:38:45 PM »
I was thinking about one that you could simply type in a string like "1+4x=2/3+2x" but I am having trouble (), x^num and num^x.
I could make it do a lot more if I got the user to input each term by itself, but I want to make it, so the user does not have to have any math skills.

I say that I working on it, but I won't be able to get much done until thanksgiving break. 

iamdenteddisk

• Email
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 09:32:01 AM »
that's a fresh breath of air darth, seeing someone taking consideration to do the complex works like that. Kudo's man..

did you give any thought to the modular library idea?

It seems having focused topics like plugins would be valuable to most programmers. most of the programs we do or see are focused and not very broad reaching so it would cut un-needed bloat and be memory conservative for use in games to..

• Email
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 04:42:44 PM »
That is a good idea, but I don't know how to do that in QB, so someone would have to help me with the format. Whenever I start working with paths, files, etc things go wrong; horribly wrong.   

DarthWho

• Timelord of the Sith
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 08:03:43 PM »
I have considered using a modular library form and have even prototyped something along those lines with Fastmath where I would use a BAS to compile either a .h header library or a DLL for the user once they have selected the modules they wanted.

iamdenteddisk

• Email
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 09:53:27 PM »
I have always been dead set against third party libs. preferring to stick it out with what I am capable of alone, over getting dependent on libs .
but in the case of math's I think it would be a welcome thing. if it didn't hinder memory to much..

• Email
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 04:36:38 PM »
This is a little of topic, but I heard that drawing to the screen is slow in QB. Is this true; if this is true, that explains my idea for a voxel engine was such a fail.( about 1 fps) 

iamdenteddisk

• Email
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 04:49:54 PM »
certain methods have been preferred through time, they where well optimized for speed and others left hanging. had they been optimized for speed in the day, it would be very different now.

current use of "put" is a direct memory write, the fastest possible way second is Pset which was considered the fastest and would be if had not it required many recursions to do exactly what put does.

draw commands require decipher into either pset or put routines the multiple process's is what causes you to slow making the recursion of decipher equal to the recursion of pset's. put is the best because it put's all psets at one instance without needed decipher or recursion.