• Print

Author Topic: RETRO REMAKE COMPETITION RESULTS [$88.00(US) prize money issued!]  (Read 3685 times)

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
RETRO REMAKE COMPETITION RESULTS [$88.00(US) prize money issued!]
« on: March 02, 2012, 11:35:47 pm »
Please review the 2 entries below and consider the criteria before voting.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:50:12 am by Galleon »
Something old... Something new... Something borrowed... Something blue...

TerryRitchie

• Press any key to continue or any other key to quit
Re: >>>>>> UPLOAD/LINK QB64 RETRO REMAKE COMPETITON ENTRIES HERE <<<<<<
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 04:38:55 pm »
Here is my competition entry - Four in a Row.

Since posting for help a few weeks back (thanks to everyone that offered help and tips) I decided to completely rewrite the AI portion of the program.  It stills uses a modified version of MIN/MAX but I removed the Alpha/Beta pruning portion of the algorithm.  The AI is still weak but curiously of the 5 levels you can choose from it seems levels 2 and 3 play the best.  I still plan to write a proper AI routine for this program that I hope to have ready to play some time during the summer months. It was too much work (1600+ lines) to just ignore and not improve upon.

The program is old school when it comes to controlling: use arrow keys and enter key to navigate.

This contest was a lot of fun ... thanks Galleon :)  I hope every one likes Four in a Row.

** EDIT ** - The options bug has been fixed.  The game will now play sound the first time it is run.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:19:13 pm by TerryRitchie »

MilesAway1980

Re: >>>>>> UPLOAD/LINK QB64 RETRO REMAKE COMPETITON ENTRIES HERE <<<<<<
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 11:42:02 pm »
Here's my submission, a remake of Air Attack

Had a lot of fun on this!  Much thanks to my wife who encouraged me to take the challenge and who took care of me while I spent too much time programming.   ;D

I hope everyone likes it.

The controls are listed in the program (click the OPTIONS button at the top left at the title screen).

But otherwise:

Mouse movement.  Controls up/down/left/right
Mouse Scroll   -  Change weapons
F1 - F8  -   Change weapons
Left click - Shoot laser
Right click - Shoot special weapon
1 - 0   -   Select speed
- +    Speed Up/Down
C -   Cockpit on/off
N  -  Navigation
Backspace  -  Overdrive
Page Up/Down    -    Change targeting distance

Holding down a key will speed up the mission text.  Pressing ESC will make it display immediately.

Press ESC to exit the SHOP.

There are sounds.  I ran out of time to program being able to turn them off, so if you don't want sound, be sure to turn your speakers off before playing.  I'll be sure to add that option later.   :)
Have fun, and good luck!

EDIT:  If anyone downloaded it previously, I fixed a minor graphics bug with the ammo meter.  I re-uploaded the BAS file but forgot to mention it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:15:16 pm by MilesAway1980 »

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
IF forum_posts >= 50 THEN PRINT "VOTE FOR THE QB64 RETRO REMAKE WINNER!"
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 04:44:50 pm »
IF forum_posts >= 50 THEN PRINT "VOTE FOR THE QB64 RETRO REMAKE WINNER!"
Everyone at this forum who has made 50 or more posts as of the 8th of March 2011 is eligible to vote. I had to expand the voting audience due to only having 2 entries, I didn't want to have veto power over the decision.

To vote, you simply reply to this post and state the name of the program (not the author) which you think should win and preferably also write one sentence about why you chose it to be the winner over the other one. You must vote by the 31st of March 2012.

You should check the competition guidelines before submitting your vote:
http://www.qb64.net/forum/index.php?topic=5132.0
Remember...
The original QBASIC version and the QB64 version will be compared and contestants will be judged on HOW WELL THE GAME WAS ENHANCED.

Good luck to both contestants,
Galleon
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:52:31 pm by Galleon »

Clippy

• I LOVE π = 4 * ATN(1)    Use the QB64 WIKI >>>
    • Pete's Qbasic Site
Re: IF forum_posts >= 50 THEN PRINT "VOTE FOR THE QB64 RETRO REMAKE WINNER!"
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 03:38:00 pm »
I vote for Terry's Four in a Row. It got more difficult to beat as you changed the options and did what it was supposed to do with a simple compile. I give it an 8 out of 10.

The Air Attack program was not bad graphically, but the mouse was tough to get to work right. Perhaps arrow keys or something would be better. This game has potential so don't give up on it! I give it a 5 out of 10.

I'm sure that both entrants worked their buns off, so good jobs to both.

QB64 WIKI: Main Page
Download Q-Basics Code Demo: Q-Basics.zip
Download QB64 BAT, IconAdder and VBS shortcuts: QB64BAT.zip
Download QB64 SDL: QB64v0954-win15.7z

small no more

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 07:37:31 pm »
I vote for Four In A Row.

I think that the improved graphics and sound was amazing compared to the original program.

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 04:40:54 am »
Both programmers have clearly put hours and hours of work into their entries. However, I'm pretty certain even more time went into Air Attack than on Four in a Row. Thank you both for sharing these fantastic games with us. I tried both of the QBASIC originals (the original air attack needed some changes) and I can say I wouldn't waste my time playing either of them. Your enhanced versions, on the other hand, are great fun! ;D

Air Attack:
+3D effects
+Great title screen effect
+Original game concept built upon in a variety of ways
+Highly customizable with level/ship editors
-Static horizontal horizon takes away the feeling of flying an aircraft
-Poor user-interface
-Typewriter effect is painfully slow
-Graphics still look quite dated (_MAPTRIANGLE would really have helped here)

Four in a Row:
+AI
+Polished sound and graphics give great atmosphere
-AI isn't as smart as it should (according to the MinMax AI principle) be
-Limited replay value due to lack of game-style options
-Intro sequence should be skippable

Both games have been enhanced in very different ways so comparisons aren't very useful. I really want to vote for Air Attack but there are just too many major things which need to be addressed, I keep finding myself wanting to 'fix the code' to turn this into the great game it is so close to being.
My vote goes towards Four in a Row
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:46:47 am by Galleon »

OlDosLover

• OlDosLover
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 07:59:45 am »
Hi all,
    I vote for Air Attack.
OlDosLover.

DSMan195276

• Yes
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 11:44:22 am »
Both games were miles better then there original counterparts, but I found that Air Attack was really improved upon a lot. A nice title screen was added, weapon system, shop, improved controls with QB64, etc.. The graphics were left as they were in the original, but to be honest I liked the graphics from the original anyway. four in a row definitely needed the graphics update, but Air Attack is ok without it. As Galleon noted, the GUI was a bit lacking, but I found it fine to use. The biggest problem I had with the game was that you didn't use _MOUSEMOVEMENTX/Y to lock the mouse to the center. For a while I was confused of why I had a main cross hair and then my mouse had a second one (And since the mouse wasn't locked and the game wasn't full screen the mouse would move off the window every once in a while).

Four in a row is great, but I still felt that I was playing the old version with some new graphics. Yes, the AI was changed, and as a programmer I recognize how much work went into the AI, but as a regular player I had a hard time saying "Well, I can tell this AI is harder then the last one", and we're judging based on gameplay. Instead of a new AI I would have liked to see some new features, such as a new type of game-play. I also felt that while the extra graphics were nice, they slowed the gameplay down a bit. The improved title sequence seemed to take longer (I think i was waiting a full minute or so to get into the game) and when playing the game, the dropping animation seemed slow, I always felt like the game should hurry up and let me play my next move (or, have a button press skip the animation would have been nice. Animations are great, but there is a certain point where you'd rather just skip the animation and get to the gameplay).

So, my final vote goes to Air Attack.

Matt
"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken" -- Psalm 55:22
QB64 Linux Installer

GarryRicketson

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 09:03:44 pm »
Well I got them both compiled, it is a hard choice, I admire the efforts taken in both,
my kid ended up with the final say, Air attack, is more interesting ,..so anyway, I vote for
Air attack
from Garry

MilesAway1980

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 10:15:04 am »
Quote from: Galleon on March 11, 2012, 04:40:54 am
Both programmers have clearly put hours and hours of work into their entries. However, I'm pretty certain even more time went into Air Attack than on Four in a Row. Thank you both for sharing these fantastic games with us. I tried both of the QBASIC originals (the original air attack needed some changes) and I can say I wouldn't waste my time playing either of them. Your enhanced versions, on the other hand, are great fun! ;D

Air Attack:
+3D effects
+Great title screen effect
+Original game concept built upon in a variety of ways
+Highly customizable with level/ship editors
-Static horizontal horizon takes away the feeling of flying an aircraft
-Poor user-interface
-Typewriter effect is painfully slow
-Graphics still look quite dated (_MAPTRIANGLE would really have helped here)

Four in a Row:
+AI
+Polished sound and graphics give great atmosphere
-AI isn't as smart as it should (according to the MinMax AI principle) be
-Limited replay value due to lack of game-style options
-Intro sequence should be skippable

Both games have been enhanced in very different ways so comparisons aren't very useful. I really want to vote for Air Attack but there are just too many major things which need to be addressed, I keep finding myself wanting to 'fix the code' to turn this into the great game it is so close to being.
My vote goes towards Four in a Row

Thanks for the notes on the game.   :)  I know critique is important, so I appreciate it.

I mentioned it in the other thread, but holding down any key speeds up the text, or pressing ESC makes it all display at once.  I should have mentioned it, but figured that was kinda "standard" with printing out text.  Either way...  that's how you speed it up.

As for the graphics, 8 different views takes a lot of time to draw by hand with numerous different ships so I couldn't put a lot of time into detail when I had so much code to write as well.  The original game used only a vertical and horizontal line for the enemies, so I certainly hope it was noticeable how much of an improvement the sprites were over those.   ;D

What were you thinking _MAPTRIANGLE would do differently out of curiosity?  I used it for a few other things, but not for the ships.

I had plans to have the horizon tilt and rotate with the jet, but along with a slew of other ideas, it was just something I didn't get to.

Personally, I thought the interface worked well.  It took a little getting used to, but once done, it was effective.  But, to each their own I suppose.

Probably another thing I should have explained more:
The center reticule is where your ship is pointed and where your special weapons will fire.  I added it after some time when I realized I didn't always know directly where my jet was pointed.  The targeting reticule that locks onto ships is where your base laser will fire.  And the mouse pointer is which direction your ship will go.  It isn't an INSTANT move, since I didn't think it was realistic that the jet would immediately point where your mouse is pointing (say, like where a player is pointing in an FPS), since a jet has to bank and turn.

The speed of the jet, however, I agree could definitely use some work.  I wanted to put in joystick support but...alas, another one of those things I just ran out of time for.

Thanks again for the critique.  Feel free to let me know what you'd do.  I'd like to properly polish the game. 

Lachie Dazdarian

• http://games.freebasic.net
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 10:44:29 am »
I also vote for Air Attack. More effort went into updating this game, and it offers more varied content and depth.

The Four in a Row AI is simply not good enough for me to consider it a winner against a game of Air Attack level. I played it twice. First time on default difficult I destroyer the computer. Second time, I picked the highest difficult. The computer took way too long to compute the right move and I still beat it easily despite being an inexperienced four in a row player.

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 03:44:48 am »
Let's get those votes in. Less than 2 days left to vote.

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 04:19:06 am »
Summary of votes:

Clippy - Four in a Row
small no more - Four in a Row
Galleon - Four in a Row
OlDosLover - Air Attack
DSMan195276 - Air Attack
GarryRicketson - Air Attack
Lachie Dazdarian - Air Attack

Winner: Air Attack

More info to come...

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 04:46:54 am »
Clippy - Four in a Row
small no more - Four in a Row
Galleon - Four in a Row
OlDosLover - Air Attack
DSMan195276 - Air Attack
GarryRicketson - Air Attack
Lachie Dazdarian - Air Attack
Congratulations MilesAway for your entry of "Air Attack"!

Entrants (some content removed):
31 Jan 2012 ******** $8.00 (MilesAway) <---winner
31 Jan 2012 ******** $8.00 (olddoslover)
18 Jan 2012 ******** $8.00
14 Jan 2012 ******** $20.00 (confirmed $8.00 for contest & $12.00 donation)
8 Jan 2012 ******** $33.00 ($8 for contest, $25 for QB64 donation)
8 Jan 2012 ******** $8.00 (Lachie)

As per the rules:
Winner takes all! Whoever wins will receive all of the entry money combined
AS WELL AS $40[US] from the QB64 donations account. That's right, if you are
the only one who enters you win $40[US] by default! However, you stand to win
more.
You win:
$40 + (6 x $8) = $40 + $48 = $88

Prize money sent:
Transaction Details   
Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID # *****************)
Sent to:   
   ********** (The recipient of this payment is Verified)
Email:   
Amount sent:   
   -$88.00 USD
Fee amount:   
   -$0.88 USD
Net amount:   
   -$88.88 USD
Date:   
   2 Apr 2012
Time:   
   21:41:59 AEST
   Completed
Subject:   
   Congratulations!
Note:   
   I'm delighted to award you $88.00 for winning our first QB64 programming competition.
Funding Type:   
   PayPal Balance
Payment Method:   
   $88.88 USD PayPal Account

• Print