• Print

Author Topic: Proposal for QB64 to have an auto-updater  (Read 5885 times)

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
Re: Proposal for QB64 to have an auto-updater
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2010, 05:06:41 pm »
Rel,

I'd love to help you download QB64, would splitting it up into smaller chunks help?

7/23/2010 6:23:51 AM   HTTP filter   file   http://www.qb64.net/qb64v090-win.zip   a variant of Win32/Adware.Antivirus2008 application   connection terminated - quarantined   ROMEO-53E661BF7\Romeo   Threat was detected upon access to web by the application: C:\Program Files\FlashGet\flashget.exe.
This message seems to suggest that something in your virus scanning heuristics is flagging the download as a problem too.
Something old... Something new... Something borrowed... Something blue...

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2010, 05:17:51 pm »
Now, to get back on topic...

I've now completed all of the functions required to get QB64 to check for and update itself and am stitching together this functionality to create the 'final product' which will be integrated into the QB64 compiler. I expect this new version of QB64 be fully implemented and available in less than a weeks time. After that, I'll be addressing:
1) The recently reported bugs/incompatibilities
2) The final QBASIC commands like ON KEY and FILES
3) Working with you guys to make QB64's code syntax checking both bulletproof and informative.

relminator

• Genso's Junkyard
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2010, 05:51:48 pm »
Quote from: Dav on July 23, 2010, 08:59:25 am
Hey Rel!  It's really good to see you again.  If you would like (and only If Galleon doesn't mind this) I'd be happy to split the qb64 zip into several RAR parts so you can grab them piece by piece when you can, then use winrar to rejoin an unzip it to your laptop.  I could email the parts to you or stick them up for a temp download somewhere for you.  I'd love to see you doing some stuff in QB64!

- Dav

That would be awesome!  I could do with 3 mb files each.  Temp DL is a better idea as yahoo eat up a lot of my bandwidth. Filepasta2 seems to be a good host for those.

Laptop won't download the installer too.  I'm pretty sure it's just nod32 being too cautious and reporting a false positive.

BTW, it's gonna be about 4 days before I could get online again so take your time. 

Does the installer have example files on them?

I would like to say that I've been lurking at this forum for about 6 months now.  I think I got the link for this from Qbasicnews.com (A newsbrief posted by Dav).

Dav: Plasma(I think) shunned coding a while ago.  But Jocke is back in business.

My Nintendo DS homebrews:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/junk.php?cat=10

Space Impakto DS
http://rel.betterwebber.com/

Dav

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2010, 09:42:54 am »
Galleon:  I think an update feature will be a plus.  Will it be a feature that can be optioned out, or will QB64 request internet access upon every startup?  I favor the check for update on request myself.  Some programs I have which force a net check gives a hangtime when I'm not connected.

Rel: Yes, There are examples included - some are from your 9-liner challange!  There's no installer, the download contains a QB64 folder you can place anywhere and run the IDE.  To remove QB64, just delete the folder. Glad Jocke's back. Plasma's still around, I saw pics a few weeks ago of a remote controlled truck he built (not a toy, a REAL truck). Looked awesome!

- Dav
(Visit Dav's Qbasic Site) (Grab my IDE)

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2010, 04:55:27 am »
I just thought I should clarify some points about the auto-updater, especially now that it is in the final stages of implementation.

The updater will be for the Windows version of QB64 only at first.
The updater will be built into the QB64 compiler (qb64.exe). The updater is not one of those nasty updating programs that secretly runs all the time even when you aren't using QB64! The updater can only run when QB64 is used.
The updater can be controlled by 3 options within the IDE:
[X]Check for updates:
        [X]Only check for updates once per day (if unchecked, it'll check every time QB64 is launched)
        [X]Automatically apply updates
All of the above are checked by default. This is because, potentially, the version downloaded from the website could be stale (approx 1-2 months out of date). Critical updates (which fix severe errors in QB64) will, of course, continue to be uploaded here immediately.

There's also a menu item in called 'update' in the IDE to check for and (optionally) install updates manually designed to be used when check for updates is turned off.

Using the QB64 command line -c option will also invoke the updater as specified in the settings of the IDE, as some people choose only to use the command line they would otherwise be unaware of updates.

I hope I've covered everyone's questions,
Galleon

Clippy

• I LOVE π = 4 * ATN(1)    Use the QB64 WIKI >>>
    • Pete's Qbasic Site
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2010, 06:27:06 am »
I hope you are not spending a lot of time on this updater project. There are things that are of a higher priority than that I think! Last nite I did the M$ updates and had to reboot. When I did, sure as hell the sickening yellow shield popped up again! More updates. Having the ability to do updates without having to post them all may seem like a good idea, but that too will force you to be diverted to updating the updater. Here are a few of MY priorities:

1) You are finally within a few keywords of full Qbasic compatibility! Can you please get them done. I have some additions that I think FILES could use, but I'm not done with that project yet. We have teachers and schools interested in teaching about QB64. The QB keywords need to get done, why not now?

2) The IDE (yes I said it) could be improved to find more syntax errors and typos. At least it could point to a line and not shrivel up and die when you have an extra quotation mark in a string definition. That happened to me recently and it STOLE my EXE file too LOL... ;D. I think I already volunteered Cy for that job...

3) A program package installer would be a big plus! ESPECIALLY if that darn DATA (I noticed that you made it lowercase  ;) ) folder is gonna be around much longer. If it weren't for that folder, you could just put all of the dll AND data folder files into the Windows System32 folder. That would also mean that the new 5 meg DLL only has to exist ONCE on a machine.

4) Finally, I'm sure that there are TONS of new ideas and dimensions that QB64 could incorporate. I think that you should spend a little more time listening to us, your appreciative followers.

Ted
QB64 WIKI: Main Page
Download Q-Basics Code Demo: Q-Basics.zip
Download QB64 BAT, IconAdder and VBS shortcuts: QB64BAT.zip
Download QB64 SDL: QB64v0954-win15.7z

Pete

• Cuz I sez so varmint!
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2010, 11:44:02 am »

My software will just block the auto-updating, so just an annoyance; but if I turn off the alert, it will block it silently. That's my sublte/not so sublte way of relating to you that I'm unhappy you did not listen to a few of us an add an opt-out feature.

Pete  :'(
Give a man a program, and he does one thing for a day. Teach a man to program, and he does one thing for a lifetime.

Clippy

• Pete's Qbasic Site
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2010, 11:57:29 am »
I guess we're going to have to become "proactive", as the Nationwide man says,  Pete.

Just uncheck the box.  :o

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2010, 01:19:16 pm »
There is no currently greater priority than implementing the final QB64 keywords and making code syntax checking bulletproof. The current strategy of 1 update a month is unsustainable when it comes to takes such as perfecting OPEN COM functionality and perfecting code syntax checking. Therefore, it is my belief that QB64 needs an autoupdater to improve this development and feedback cycle.

As for opting out, that's exactly what the checkbox is for.

A program package installer would be a big plus! ESPECIALLY if that darn DATA (I noticed that you made it lowercase  Wink ) folder is gonna be around much longer.
I'm thinking of making a 'distribute' option in the run menu which would automatically group up the dependencies each program has and place them (along with the exe) in a (new if required) folder of your choice.

TerryRitchie

• Press any key to continue or any other key to quit
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2010, 01:37:58 pm »
I agree, an autoupdate feature is a win/win situation.

A packager would be great as well!

Pete

• Cuz I sez so varmint!
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2010, 06:17:13 pm »
Quote from: Galleon on July 26, 2010, 01:19:16 pm
There is no currently greater priority than implementing the final QB64 keywords and making code syntax checking bulletproof. The current strategy of 1 update a month is unsustainable when it comes to takes such as perfecting OPEN COM functionality and perfecting code syntax checking. Therefore, it is my belief that QB64 needs an autoupdater to improve this development and feedback cycle.

As for opting out, that's exactly what the checkbox is for.

A program package installer would be a big plus! ESPECIALLY if that darn DATA (I noticed that you made it lowercase  Wink ) folder is gonna be around much longer.
I'm thinking of making a 'distribute' option in the run menu which would automatically group up the dependencies each program has and place them (along with the exe) in a (new if required) folder of your choice.

OK, I get if now...

[X]Check for updates:
        [X]Only check for updates once per day (if unchecked, it'll check every time QB64 is launched)
        [X]Automatically apply updates

So uncheck the first box and I'm optting out, cool!

Thanks,

Pete

PS: I take back every nasty thing Clippy has ever said about you.  ;D
Give a man a program, and he does one thing for a day. Teach a man to program, and he does one thing for a lifetime.

Clippy

• Pete's Qbasic Site
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2010, 10:57:03 pm »
   LOL  ;D

relminator

• Genso's Junkyard
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2010, 02:54:51 am »
Dang!!! Nod32 is still blocking the DL even on my laptop.  I'm pretty sure it's a false positive. :*(

Anyways, Galleon: Can you post a link for the "smaller chunks" DL?

Dav: Linky?

I'll be online for 24 hours only then it'll be next week before I go online again. :*(

My Nintendo DS homebrews:
http://rel.betterwebber.com/junk.php?cat=10

Space Impakto DS
http://rel.betterwebber.com/

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2010, 03:40:39 am »
Download this zip file:
http://www.qb64.net/qb64q.zip

Unzip it and then run 'updatezzz.exe'.

With a lot of patience and a bit of luck, it'll download and build a fully functioning version of QB64 by downloading the missing files it requires (which are in this case, all of them!).

If for any reason you get a 'failed!' message, run 'setup.bat' (if it has been created) and run updatezzz.exe again till it's finished downloading all of the required files.

iamdenteddisk

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2010, 09:11:23 am »
Im with pete on the dropdown and check box, for these reasons.

1 if it just updates and there is a flaw"virus" your stuck with it.
2 if you leave the checkbox unchecked and you are alerted of new version you could then findout from others if it's a good one before updating.

3 Im a prik that wants a choice in everything especialy my code getting overwritten or changes to my machine.

• Print