Author Topic: Android Developement Log  (Read 1943 times)

bobtheunplayer

• I'd rather be coding.
    • Email
Re: Android Developement Log
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2013, 01:10:34 AM »
I follow business news for obvious reasons, and the chatter is the PC is dead to the future, with the laptop next in line to fall.

Not to derail the topic too much, but I work at an internet company, and we have tried it all, tablets, chromebooks, netbooks, big laptops, smartphones.  While work can be done these devices, nothing beats the efficiency of a desktop with two screens, a keyboard, and a mouse.

Pete

• Cuz I sez so varmint!
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2013, 03:57:25 PM »
Well stated, Bob, but ask yourself why IBM sold off their PC market to Lenovo? When I was getting started, we had nothing but desktops. Now I don't own a single desktop, 5 laptops, instead. If I did mobile work, a couple of those would be tablets. The few times I do take a laptop with me, I wish it was a tablet.

For QB64, it is a lot more work to support mobile devices, but aside from the smaller percent of people tied to a desktop at work, the future will be geared more to mobile devices and the software that works the best with those devices will be bettered positioned than those that ignore this trend.

I know that Rob loses some forward progress in catering to all these platforms and how to figure out input with the variety of devices coming out, but I think he has the right vision. No need for QB64 to meet up with its older brother, QB, in the rest home any time soon.

Pete
It's only rocket science; it's not Linux!

fluffrabbit

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
I just wish that these casual gamers who buy tablet games would man up and play some Half-Life.

Clippy

• I LOVE π = 4 * ATN(1)    Use the QB64 WIKI >>>
    • Pete's Qbasic Site
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2013, 06:40:40 PM »
Once people get their cell phone bills, they can't afford anything else!

My Verizon cable bill is dam near $200 a month and now they are selling Quantum for extra band width. Only $10 now, God knows how much it will go up over time.

Meanwhile I find it amusing watching people walk into things like highways because they are so  wrapped up in what is on their phones. They should make walking online illegal too!
QB64 WIKI: Main Page
Download Q-Basics Code Demo: Q-Basics.zip
Download QB64 BAT, IconAdder and VBS shortcuts: QB64BAT.zip
Download QB64 DLL files in a ZIP: Program64.zip

bobtheunplayer

• I'd rather be coding.
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2013, 03:17:56 AM »
Well stated, Bob, but ask yourself why IBM sold off their PC market to Lenovo?
Probably because people who engage in real productivity need desktops, and, realistically, few of those people actaully exist.
(

While salesmen, secratarys, exceutives, accountants etc, do work, they don't need desktops for presentations, documents, spreadsheets, or quickbooks.

sjt1975

• My Personal Web-Site
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2013, 09:11:28 AM »
I just wish that these casual gamers who buy tablet games would man up and play some Half-Life.

Love it! 

Pete

• Cuz I sez so varmint!
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2013, 10:15:22 AM »
Well stated, Bob, but ask yourself why IBM sold off their PC market to Lenovo?
Probably because people who engage in real productivity need desktops, and, realistically, few of those people actaully exist.

That's what I see, too. I mostly create business apps, so I share your sentiment. QB was all that was really needed for that, but there was a need to update it for newer hardware and operating systems, something QB64 has accomplished well. The Tweeters, gamers, etc., will be among a large percentage of the majority that fuels the push towards more mobile technology.

Pete

Clippy

• I LOVE π = 4 * ATN(1)    Use the QB64 WIKI >>>
    • Pete's Qbasic Site
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2013, 10:58:06 AM »
When the PC is obsolete, how will you do this, and this, and this?

Mobile devices keep you in touch, but they lack a lot of things that I need. Plus when I'm away from the desktop I am free to enjoy other things.

Killing the desktop: Can you survive in Windows 8's modern UI alone?

Yeah, if you can find the software. The next money maker will be rented software!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:03:42 PM by Clippy »
QB64 WIKI: Main Page
Download Q-Basics Code Demo: Q-Basics.zip
Download QB64 BAT, IconAdder and VBS shortcuts: QB64BAT.zip
Download QB64 DLL files in a ZIP: Program64.zip

fluffrabbit

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2013, 11:22:44 AM »
When the PC is obsolete, how will you do this, and this, and this?

Mobile devices keep you in touch, but they lack a lot of things that I need. Plus when I'm away from the desktop I am free to enjoy other things.

That was some flame war in the comments section. It's sad that people can be manipulated by the simple capitalist agendas of big corporations and their marketing departments. Then again, that's the kind of magazine.

I agree that desktops and mobile touch screen devices are two different things. I hope that the mobile touch screen devices get more developer-friendly, but as long as we have Android, that won't happen. The way I see it (at least in relation to QB64), is people will make Android apps, toys, games, play around, maybe do some science stuff, and try to cash in on the last couple years of the system's lifespan. That's the most we can hope for, and honestly it would be pretty sweet if it became that simple. To just make a program for Android, you know, like you do for Windows.

Pete

• Cuz I sez so varmint!
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2013, 12:05:07 AM »
Looks like Google will unveil a new slimmer Nexus 7 in July. That looks like an Android device I might be interested in.

Pete

codeguy

• what the h3ll did i name that code?
    • stuff at dkm
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2013, 08:55:35 AM »
very nice work galleon. and clippy, that's darwinian theory in practice, that people who walk and text will eventually be removed from the gene pool for making poor choices. i think it's called technological evolution. yes, it was cool to see gorillas on a tablet no less and no intermediate screwing around with java -- which mobile basic does and neither does mobile basic compile apk's either, just generates jvm bytecode i think. a word of advice -- do NOT play gorillas and traverse traffic simultaneously. the results are certain to be disastrous 8^).

edited to correct grammatical error.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:40:02 AM by codeguy »
http://denteddisk.forums-free.com/make-an-appointment-with-the-resident-code-guru-f34.html

Pete

• Cuz I sez so varmint!
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2013, 09:26:21 AM »
That's why I've invented the i-walker!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/648955/message/1366913755/

Pete  ;D

fluffrabbit

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2013, 11:20:52 AM »
LOL. It's the same as when the Gameboy came out, except now girls have them too.

FALCON

• Linux Mint
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2013, 05:57:12 AM »
This is really awesome Galleon. If we could make apps for android it would give qb64 a whole new level of potential.

mystikshadows

• To Err is human, to really screw up ya need c++.
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2013, 10:15:10 AM »
I have hacker's keyboard installed on my tablet, it replaces the default keyboard to accomodate for the numeric pad, function keys and all that.  It's a great developer's keyboard and it's free.  if qb64 can use this keyboard I say there's a winning combination. :)

There's also the AIDE for project generation and compilation right on the tablet. you might want to know about that. :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aide.ui&hl=en
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 10:33:17 AM by mystikshadows »
When they say it can't be done, that's when they call me.

MystikShadows