Author Topic: Android Developement Log  (Read 1283 times)

OlDosLover

• OlDosLover
    • Email
Re: Android Developement Log
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 08:00:55 PM »
Hi all,
    Here's what some others think of this.
http://forum.basicprogramming.org/index.php/topic,2866.0.html
OlDosLover.

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 09:00:19 PM »
http://www.qb64.net/android_options.png
I've added some options (off by default) to the IDE to allow for generating Android projects.

Here's what some others think of this.
http://forum.basicprogramming.org/index.php/topic,2866.0.html
I've used C4Droid a bit. In the future I will try to get the IDE/compiler to run natively in Android, and I may use C4Droid if it provides enough functionality, but that can wait. Not all tablets are created equally, but the majority I've seen just don't make good program development environments. By which I refer to Windowing GUI, speed, memory, adequate input devices, screen size, etc. Don't get me wrong, I know that there are tablets out there which are setup with all these things, but they are few and far between.
Something old... Something new... Something borrowed... Something blue...

OlDosLover

• OlDosLover
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 09:06:33 PM »
Hi all,
    Fair enough Galleon. The IDE options look perfectly in place!
OlDosLover.

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2013, 09:09:15 PM »
The IDE options look perfectly in place!
Now they just have to do something! ;)

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2013, 09:18:07 PM »
I'll configure things so an APK file is also generated within the bin sub-folder of the project. Signing could be interesting, if Eclipse has some command line options for this it's surely help streamline the process.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4600891/how-to-build-apk-file

fluffrabbit

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2013, 07:15:22 AM »
This is quite exciting indeed. Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he will eat for a lifetime. Give a man a fish hatchery, and he will feed a whole town.

Pete

• Cuz I sez so varmint!
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2013, 08:16:44 PM »
Quote from: fluffrabbit on April 20, 2013, 07:15:22 AM
This is quite exciting indeed. Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he will eat for a lifetime. Give a man a fish hatchery, and he will feed a whole town.

Give a man a computer, and he can buy all the friggin' fish he needs on ebay.

As for the Android addition to the project, looks great. I might pick up a tablet to try it out when it's ready to roll.

I follow business news for obvious reasons, and the chatter is the PC is dead to the future, with the laptop next in line to fall. Tablet technology will predominate, unless something even better "surfaces" lol - excuse that pun.

Touch screen drag and drop functions will be a must for business apps, 3-D for gaming. It's pretty cool QB64 is poised to meet all these industry evolvements.

Pete  :)
It's only rocket science; it's not Linux!

fluffrabbit

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2013, 03:18:48 AM »
Quote from: Pete on April 21, 2013, 08:16:44 PM
I follow business news for obvious reasons, and the chatter is the PC is dead to the future, with the laptop next in line to fall. Tablet technology will predominate, unless something even better "surfaces" lol - excuse that pun.

Touch screen drag and drop functions will be a must for business apps, 3-D for gaming. It's pretty cool QB64 is poised to meet all these industry evolvements.

Do you want to bet hard cash on that? I doubt people will shift to new technologies unless those technologies do everything all of the older technologies did just as well. For instance, in order for people to switch to tablet PCs, they have to be laptops with touch screens. In order for people to switch to smaller (perhaps Android) devices like PDAs and pocket tablets, they have to project hologram screens and hologram keyboards that are physical to the touch.

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2013, 04:27:22 AM »
The next release of QB64-GL will incorporate all of the Android build options (featured in my previous post but I'm still refining them) so it'll be possible (with the installation of JAVA, Android-SDK, Android-NDK and Eclipse of course) to create Android programs for your emulators or tablets. I intend to create a video tutorial on how to set up everything, it's a fairly long process but thankfully it should only have to be done once.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 08:07:34 AM by Galleon »

fluffrabbit

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2013, 04:54:53 AM »
Questions about the next release:

1. When? Is it still slated for around May 11th or has the expected date changed?

2. Will the Android version be fully functional and operational? (sound support, screen scaled correctly, etc.)

3. Will SRC be replaced?

OlDosLover

• OlDosLover
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2013, 06:09:39 AM »
Hi all,

The next release of QB64-GL will incorporate all of the Android build options (featured in my previous post but I'm still refining them) so it'll be possible (will the installation of JAVA, Android-SDK, Android-NDK and Eclipse of course) to create Android programs for your emulators or tablets.
    Well thank you greatly. Thats surprisingly very fast! The video sounds like a really good idea!
OlDosLover

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2013, 08:06:55 AM »
1. This week
2. No
3. No

fluffrabbit

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2013, 08:22:59 AM »
Ah, so this is just going to be a preliminary test release. Fair enough. You have made some fast progress!

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2013, 06:05:05 PM »
I've spent some time teasing out the details of Eclipse projects and the NDK example.

It turns out the NDK native activity uses:
namespace: com.example.native_activity
application name: NativeActivity
base class: NativeActivity
builds main.c/cpp to module: native-activity

It all seems so simple when listed above, but when faced a mess of "native" and "activity" in front of you in multiple files it's a nightmare.

To make matters more confusing Eclipse imports your android project using its base class name as the Eclipse project name, and it doesn't allow more than one project with the same name in a workspace, nor is there a way to change the name it imports by or the name after importing. Basically this is a disaster, because all native android applications use the same base class and this cannot be changed. It's also deceptive, when I changed 'NativeActivity' to 'blah' and Eclipse imported it as 'blah' I thought I'd renamed the project. Yeah! But no! I'd just ruined the reference to my base class (which I cannot edit directly) and broke my code. >:(

Anyhow, the good news is I now have a more thorough understanding of android project structure and Eclipse project structure and can generate a Android + Eclipse project automatically with the name I want them to be. 8)

So much pain... :'(
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 06:57:52 PM by Galleon »

fluffrabbit

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2013, 05:15:10 AM »
I have had issues with name redundancy too. There are so many places in a project where just the right name has to referenced. It should be like building a Windows program where you just have a source file and compile it, the main entry point being constant and any object-oriented structure implemented by the language and/or libraries, not the platform itself. Android apps technically go through a Java virtual machine, but it's not ME or SE- it's a specific build that is only used on Android! It's as if Google wanted to make it as difficult to write apps as possible.