Agree
1 (33.3%)
Dont know
0 (0%)
Have info
2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

• Print

Author Topic: What is QB64 GL and what is it for?  (Read 129 times)

Programernewbie1

• Email
What is QB64 GL and what is it for?
« on: May 20, 2013, 03:35:45 PM »
How can I used the program for and should I get it if I'm new
QB64ever!

LINUXQB64gltester

• Anyone that likes Art
Re: What is QB64 GL and what is it for?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 04:14:51 PM »
Take a look at this category, there are topics on all the history:
http://www.qb64.net/forum/index.php?board=25.0 
 Much of the discussions are back when it first started being developed, but now it is pretty stable,
it basicly works the same, as the older qb64 sdl versions, but has additional new command options, dose not use SDL, nor DLL files, it uses OPEN GL, and has very good 3d capabilities,...
 Since the SDL version will be dropped, I would recomend just starting with the most recent GL version, it is also still quite compatible with even older QBASIC commands,
 It works fine for a beginner, as well as advanced users.
For off topic discussions :
Non-QB64 Related Discussion Forum
Also
My Experimenting Forum
"QB64 has a great future!"

fluffrabbit

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 04:24:14 PM »
QB64-GL is the newest branch of QB64, and uses OpenGL instead of SDL for rendering. In terms of functionality, the SDL version does a teeny tiny bit more right now, but that will change in the near future.

In terms of licensing, you are not allowed to distribute programs made with QB64-GL without making them open source. That will also change in the near future.

In a nutshell, QB64-GL isn't finished yet, but the goal is for it to replace QB64-SDL.

DSMan195276

• Yes
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 04:28:09 PM »
I imagine others have confusion, so I'm glad someone asked the question:

'QB64' refers to the last official release (for most purposes) as well as the project as a whole.

'QB64-SDL' refers to the last release of the SDL based QB64 (Which also happens to the be the last official release, V.954).

'QB64-GL' is a temporary name (basically a code name) for the next official release of QB64. This release is switching out SDL for OpenGL and some other libraries. The reason for the code-name is that QB64-GL is not yet ready to replace QB64-SDL, so the name exists to help differentiate between QB64-GL and QB64-SDL.

People not concerned with QB64 development shouldn't currently worry about QB64-GL. The next official release of QB64 will be based on QB64-GL, but that will only happen when QB64-GL is able to replace the current version of QB64 ('QB64-SDL') with no problems. Normal users should not see any difference (And probably won't even notice for the most part) when QB64-GL replaces QB64-SDL as the next version of QB64. The only difference code wise will be some new commands and Android support.

QB64 promises to have perfect backwards-compatibility with code, so any code that works in an older version of QB64 (With a few rare exceptions) will work in newer versions, no matter what these new versions are, that is the key here. As long as you're using the latest official release (So current v.954), then you don't have anything to worry about.

Matt
"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken" -- Psalm 55:22
QB64 Linux Installer

Pete

• Cuz I sez so varmint!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 04:29:15 PM »
Download the GL version. You will be more current.

Pete
It's only rocket science; it's not Linux!

Mrwhy

• My Dad called me Mr Why when I was 5.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 11:59:47 AM »
'C'mon guys, how about answering his question:-
"What's if for and why should I use it"

DSMan195276

• Yes
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 12:08:30 PM »
Quote from: Mrwhy on May 21, 2013, 11:59:47 AM

Yes, I agree. After posting my response it seems a bit obvious that either this question isn't amazingly clear to everyone or it's not easily understood. I think my last paragraph is what people can keep in mind:

QB64 promises to have perfect backwards-compatibility with code, so any code that works in an older version of QB64 (With a few rare exceptions) will work in newer versions, no matter what these new versions are, that is the key here. As long as you're using the latest official release (So current v.954), then you don't have anything to worry about.

As long as you stay with the newest release listed here then you have no need for concern.

Matt
"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken" -- Psalm 55:22
QB64 Linux Installer

Pete

• Cuz I sez so varmint!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 03:00:59 PM »
Quote from: Mrwhy on May 21, 2013, 11:59:47 AM

First of all, you meant "it" not 'if" and second of all, why he should use it is in the tag line of my avatar.

Pete  ;D

Programernewbie1

• Email
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 03:45:15 PM »
Thanks for the info on QB64 GL it helped me out  ;D
QB64ever!

Pete

• Cuz I sez so varmint!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 06:15:26 PM »
Change your signature from...

QB64 forever

to

QB64ever

Why? Cuz I sez so, varmint!

Glad the info in the thread helped. Good luck using the language.

Pete

Cyperium

• Knowledge is good, but understanding is better
    • Cyperium
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 08:24:49 AM »
The biggest difference right now is that you can compile the source to a single .exe. It also has the capability to export a project in a Android compatible form, but I don't know how that works or how much of it works yet. In the future the GL version will use hardware acceleration and Open GL commands to render 3D and 2D objects very quickly and easily.

To learn QB64 programming I would start with the SDL version (the newest one in the download section), everything in the Wiki will work with that version (except the GL commands obviously). If you want the latest functionality and don't worry too much that everything should work as in the Wiki then you should pick the GL version instead, the GL version is the one that will one day replace the SDL version completely.
Venture - New Prototype, QB64 Editor v1.95b (linux compatible, if you compile the source).

• Print