• Print

Author Topic: QB64 on Windows 8  (Read 504 times)

therealdavetaylor

• Qbasic for life.
    • Email
QB64 on Windows 8
« on: March 09, 2013, 06:40:57 PM »
Hi everybody, I decided to ask this question because I was tempted to buy a windows 8 laptop. As I am a lover of qbasic and programming my own games in the lanuage that I love. Before I drop the cash down on a new laptop I was wondering if QB64 works on windows 8. Thank you for your time and have a great weekend  8)
How come I'm the only person I know who writes text adventures in basic???

fluffrabbit

Re: QB64 on Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 08:03:10 PM »
Quote from: therealdavetaylor on March 09, 2013, 06:40:57 PM
Hi everybody, I decided to ask this question because I was tempted to buy a windows 8 laptop. As I am a lover of qbasic and programming my own games in the lanuage that I love. Before I drop the cash down on a new laptop I was wondering if QB64 works on windows 8. Thank you for your time and have a great weekend  8)
QB64 does work on Windows 8, but as far as I know it does not work on Windows RT. Make sure the "laptop" you're buying isn't the Microsoft Surface.

OlDosLover

• OlDosLover
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:37:16 AM »
Hi all,
    Welcome to the forum therealdavetaylor. Text adventure happens here too!
OlDosLover.

therealdavetaylor

• Qbasic for life.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 06:54:26 AM »
Thank you for the response, now it's time for me to shop for another laptop, and start programming  :)

LeChuck

• 18 * 37
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 03:42:10 PM »
Welcome therealdavetaylor, it's Skeletor! :)
Two or more, use a FOR!

DSMan195276

• Yes
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 03:46:29 PM »
To elaborate a bit more on what FluffRabbit noted:

'Windows RT' is just (for all intensive purposes) an ARM build of Windows 8. Being that it is an ARM build, that means you can't run x86 code on it. Because of this the normal builds of QB64 for 32-bit Windows can't run. However, if you take the time to compile QB64 yourself (And replace a piece of code -- You can find specifics in the Raspberry Pi post) then it should compile for Windows RT. That's probably more trouble then you really want to go through though.

Matt
"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken" -- Psalm 55:22
QB64 Linux Installer

mcalkins

• qbasicmichael.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 05:39:35 PM »
Not only is there the issue of "Windows RT" being on ARM instead of x86, but it seems that you would have to use the "Windows Runtime"/"WinRT"/"Windows Store app"/"Metro app" interface.

Note the distinction between "Windows RT" the operating system, and "WinRT" the interface. Someone at Microsoft needs to be slapped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT#Software_compatibility
The only desktop applications supported by Windows RT are those that come with the operating system itself (such as File Explorer, Internet Explorer, and Office RT). Only Windows Store apps (which use the Windows Runtime, a new cross-platform application architecture that supports both Windows 8 and RT and their respective processors) can be installed by users on Windows RT devices. These apps can be installed through the Windows Store, or sideloaded in enterprise environments. The ability to run or port desktop applications compatible with previous versions of Windows is not offered, as Microsoft developers felt they would not provide the proper optimizations to ensure stability and energy efficiency on the ARM platform.[11]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Runtime

The only way to distribute such apps to other users is through the Windows Store. This has been discussed previously, in the now non-existent off-topic subforum.

Galleon has said that QB64 will eventually target WinRT.

Regards,
Michael
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:03:35 PM by mcalkins »
The QBASIC Forum Community: http://www.network54.com/index/10167 Includes off-topic subforums.
QB64 Off-topic subforum: http://qb64offtopic.freeforums.org/

Bert22306

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 05:58:34 PM »
What about the new Surface Pro? That's an x86 machine. QB64 for Windows should run on that, then?

DSMan195276

• Yes
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 06:21:25 PM »
Yes, many people at MicroSoft need to be sacked. And then the people responsible for sacking the people at Microsoft need to be sacked (If you get this reference, you're awesome). But thanks for posting that Michael. I guess there isn't really a way to compile ARM based desktop programs for Windows (As far as I know, I don't know why there would have been), which may be part of the problem. Does it completely lock out other programs that aren't 'metro' and/or from the store?

Quote from: Bert22306 on March 11, 2013, 05:58:34 PM
What about the new Surface Pro? That's an x86 machine. QB64 for Windows should run on that, then?

I would assume since it's an x86 machine it would support x86 programs and thus QB64. As far as I know, running x86 programs such as QB64 is the only reason anybody wants to buy the Pro version, which is more expensive then the RT version. I imagine that MicroSoft has already specified if it will run normal x86 programs so a quick google search will probably tell you.

Matt
"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken" -- Psalm 55:22
QB64 Linux Installer

Bert22306

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 04:26:36 PM »
Quote from: DSMan195276 on March 11, 2013, 06:21:25 PM
I would assume since it's an x86 machine it would support x86 programs and thus QB64. As far as I know, running x86 programs such as QB64 is the only reason anybody wants to buy the Pro version, which is more expensive then the RT version. I imagine that MicroSoft has already specified if it will run normal x86 programs so a quick google search will probably tell you.

Yes, that's what everything you read implies. Although QB64 specifically doesn't get mentioned (that I found).

The reason to buy the Surface Pro is because you get a very light and thin laptop that way. It will also run over corporate enterpise networks, for example, that the RT doesn't.

What you find online are lots of articles about porting the Android apps to the Surface Pro, which seems odd in some ways. But I guess everyone out there who's into tablets becomes pathetic and hopeless without this abundance of "apps." As trivial as many of them are.

wiggins

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 06:00:20 AM »
Welcome therealdavetaylor.   I am testing on Windows XP, 7 and 8.  QB64 runs on all of them without any modifications.

therealdavetaylor

• Qbasic for life.
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 02:50:25 PM »
I'm not the kinda of guy to mod QB64 in anyway. So i'm glad to hear that. I'm quite surprised at the responses I received. As long as I can program and run qb64 I am happy.

OlDosLover

• OlDosLover
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 07:07:44 PM »
Hi all,
    Dave you could always dual boot with another OS (XP,Linux,etc) and program on the other OS.
OlDosLover.

Omega

• Recall site..
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 12:55:33 AM »
I have tested qb64 on all versions of windows 8, x86 and x64, basic to pro.
And it works every time.

Hi an welcome to qb64.
Enjoy your visit.

TerryRitchie

• FORMAT C:\ /Q /U /AUTOTEST (How to repair Win8)
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »
I just purchased and received a Lenovo Ideapad Y500 laptop that I wiped clean and installed Win8 Pro 64bit on (it came with standard Win8 64bit installed, no good for connecting to domains). I need to learn Windows 8 inside and out to keep up with current tech, but also want to test QB64 SDL and GL this summer on it as well.

• Print