• Print

Author Topic: VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to download QB64-GL from the GOOGLE CODE REPOSITORY  (Read 344 times)

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
    • Email
VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to download QB64-GL from the GOOGLE CODE REPOSITORY
« on: March 14, 2013, 08:02:59 PM »
As promised, here is a tutorial on how to grab your very own copy of the QB64 repository in Windows:
http://www.qb64.net/qb64_repository_tutorial.mp4
Please only reply if you have either (a)tried the procedure above and are having trouble or (b)want to clarify something ambiguous or incorrect.

I cannot stress enough that the QB64 repository is not an official release. Even though our contributors are individually appointed, I'm not responsible for the contributions of these other authors which could potentially be malicious.
Something old... Something new... Something borrowed... Something blue...

Billbo

• Email
Galleon,

I finally have 0.977 now. Thanks a million.

But, I know, leave it to me, I have one question. Can the .hg directory that TortiseHg cloning created in the
qb64 directory be deleted?

Bill

DSMan195276

• Yes
    • Email
Galleon,

I finally have 0.977 now. Thanks a million.

But, I know, leave it to me, I have one question. Can the .hg directory that TortiseHg cloning created in the
qb64 directory be deleted?

Bill

I can give a bit of info on that. With this repo system, when you download the code you're actually downloading a full copy of the repo, which basically just consists of the code the repo began with along with any changes made to it. Without the .hg folder you no longer have a copy of the repo. You still have the code (And that may be all you need) however if you try to open that folder up in TortiseHg again you'll realize it no longer recognizes what's inside and can't give you info on what times code was added or changed or etc. It also means that you wouldn't be able to sync the folder again and update it once a new release is out. So it's safe to delete it, but if you do you it'll be harder to update the copy you have if a new change is put into the repo. I don't think the .hg folder is that huge, so I'd say keep it and don't really worry about it unless you have some reason for really wanting to get rid of it.

Matt
"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken" -- Psalm 55:22
QB64 Linux Installer

Billbo

• Email
Re: VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to download QB64-GL from the GOOGLE CODE REPOSITORY
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 12:06:11 PM »
DSMan195276,

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'll leave it alone. Like the old saying, 'If it works, don't fix it."

Bill

P.S. Come to think of it, they should add, 'Just make it better.'

Clippy

• I LOVE π = 4 * ATN(1)    Use the QB64 WIKI >>>
    • Pete's Qbasic Site
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 12:54:18 PM »
Why would you delete it? If you are that low on hard drive space then you are in for problems!
QB64 WIKI: Main Page
Download Q-Basics Code Demo: Q-Basics.zip
Download QB64 BAT, IconAdder and VBS shortcuts: QB64BAT.zip
Download QB64 DLL files in a ZIP: Program64.zip

Billbo

• Email
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 03:24:54 PM »
Clippy,

I'm not worried about space at the present time. I still have 290+ GB left on my HD.
Hell, if I was to delete unnecessary file, I' have probably 350 to 400. Things do add up.

Bill

OlDosLover

• OlDosLover
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 06:14:05 PM »
Hi all,
    How big is this entire download? I have a limit of 2.5 gig download monthly and am at 300 MB left atm.
Thanks fellas for the replies!!!
OlDosLover.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:04:16 PM by OlDosLover »

DSMan195276

• Yes
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 06:18:23 PM »
Quote from: OlDosLover on March 15, 2013, 06:14:05 PM
Hi all,
    How big is this entire download? I have a limit of 2.5 gig download monthly and am at 300 MB left atm.
OlDosLover.

Sorry to say it's about 200 MB download for the repo alone (tortoiseHG should be pretty small though)

Matt
"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken" -- Psalm 55:22
QB64 Linux Installer

Billbo

• Email
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 06:55:51 PM »
OlDosLover,

Without the c compiler expanded and no compiling, I figure 124,725,735 bytes. TortiseHg creates
an '.hg' directory within the qb64 directory of 57,586,871 bytes. I hope that's close enough.

Bill

wiggins

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 04:22:07 AM »
Thanks for the video tutorial.  I found it very helpful.

• Print