• Print

Author Topic: Commercial QB64 games  (Read 517 times)

fluffrabbit

Commercial QB64 games
« on: March 04, 2013, 02:55:39 AM »
Games that I made in QB64 are for sale. Since I am unable to find a suitable Internet game retailer, I am basically self-publishing through an e-commerce site. It isn't very lucrative, but I think that is probably my fault.

Is anybody else doing this?

----

Out of the games I am selling currently, three of them were made in QB64. If you guys want demo versions, I will provide them. I would like some feedback on quick ways I could improve the games and marketing tips, including any standards-free game distribution sites (other than Indievania) you know of.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 08:36:15 AM by fluffrabbit »

Clippy

• I LOVE π = 4 * ATN(1)    Use the QB64 WIKI >>>
    • Pete's Qbasic Site
    • Email
Re: Commercial QB64 games
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 09:30:10 AM »
Free is free. You won't find many free sites that allow you to sell products for money and not pay a fee.  If you do it here or on other Qbasic sites it could be considered spam. I know that I would.
QB64 WIKI: Main Page
Download Q-Basics Code Demo: Q-Basics.zip
Download QB64 BAT, IconAdder and VBS shortcuts: QB64BAT.zip
Download QB64 DLL files in a ZIP: Program64.zip

OlDosLover

• OlDosLover
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 12:18:05 PM »
Hi all,

If you guys want demo versions, I will provide them.
    Ok. I'll take a look and give you feedback. You can email them to me , click the envelope over the top of  my non existent avatar.
OlDosLover.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 06:53:55 AM by OlDosLover »

fluffrabbit

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 03:47:47 PM »
Quote from: Clippy on March 04, 2013, 09:30:10 AM
Free is free. You won't find many free sites that allow you to sell products for money and not pay a fee.  If you do it here or on other Qbasic sites it could be considered spam. I know that I would.

You're right. The kind of site I am looking for is a game distribution site, which would make its money by taking a cut. If they actually distributed my game(s), they could collect a percentage.

Quote from: OlDosLover on March 04, 2013, 12:18:05 PM
Hi all,

If you guys want demo versions, I will provide them.
    Ok. I'll take a look and give you feedback. You can e,aol them to me , click the envelope under my non existent avatar.
OlDosLover.

I'm sorry, I don't want to send private copies for various reasons.

Here's a demo of Brazilian Clown Car (now known as WWII Drone Car). The other two games are much harder to make demo versions of because their scale is much smaller. I'll try and work on at least making a demo of the SWAT game.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:58:16 AM by fluffrabbit »

OlDosLover

• OlDosLover
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 06:59:15 AM »
Hi all,
    Well it works. Im not the best at driving games and didnt get too far. Sound and all other stuff works ok. Only thing i noticed is that you can run over tanks and not destroy them or get injured. Overall quiet a good effort.
OlDosLover.

fluffrabbit

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 07:57:45 AM »
Quote from: OlDosLover on March 05, 2013, 06:59:15 AM
Hi all,
    Well it works. Im not the best at driving games and didnt get too far. Sound and all other stuff works ok. Only thing i noticed is that you can run over tanks and not destroy them or get injured. Overall quiet a good effort.
OlDosLover.
Thanks, OlDosLover. Maybe if I finish enough games like this, I'll be able to bundle them together and make the next Action 52.

As far as the collisions go, that was some kind of odd design choice that I remember making. I don't remember why, but it had something to do with the tanks blocking your path or something. The collision boxes are so big that there are problems.

Billbo

• Email
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 08:10:41 AM »
fluffrabbit,

Do them as freeware. There are some sites where the assholes write complex programs as freeware. But to
figure out how to use the program, they'll gladly sell you the help file. And the others that do donateware
(for some reason they are afraid to call it shareware) that will send you a key for a minimum donation of
$10.00. I'm not joking.

Bill

fluffrabbit

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 08:17:50 AM »
Quote from: Billbo on March 05, 2013, 08:10:41 AM
fluffrabbit,

Do them as freeware. There are some sites where the assholes write complex programs as freeware. But to
figure out how to use the program, they'll gladly sell you the help file. And the others that do donateware
(for some reason they are afraid to call it shareware) that will send you a key for a minimum donation of
$10.00. I'm not joking.

Bill
"to figure out how to use the program, they'll gladly sell you the help file" - that doesn't work for games. Hmm, strategy guides. I need to make an RPG...

As far as the donationware/shareware thing goes, I have my own marketing gimmick, but I still have yet to make a point of it on my website or anywhere. All of my games are DRM-free. They are also pretty cheap too, which is rare for DRM-free titles. At this stage, it almost seems like I should invite piracy so as to get free promotion.

OlDosLover

• OlDosLover
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 08:39:12 AM »
Hi all,
    Whats
DRM-free titles
?
OlDosLover.

fluffrabbit

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 08:48:20 AM »
Quote from: OlDosLover on March 05, 2013, 08:39:12 AM
Hi all,
    Whats
DRM-free titles
?
OlDosLover.
Digital Rights Management is also known as copy protection. DRM-free means a game does not have any copy protection at all. No license keys, installers, or Internet connection, just all the files in a directory.

DSMan195276

• Yes
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 03:52:00 PM »
Fluffrabbit:

Honestly, none of us here are professional coders, much less try to make money off of our QB64 programs. And that's not to say it's not a bad idea, just I'm not sure how much help we can really provide ;)

OlDos:

As Fluffrabbit noted, DRM in general basically puts restrictions in was to where you're allow to use whatever-it-is and if you're allowed to make copies, move it somewhere else, etc. A e-book with DRM wouldn't allow you to copy it somewhere else or move it to another device for instance. It's obviously it's not hard to get around since it's all still on a computer, but breaking DRM is technically illegal. The legality of DRM is a fairly highly debated subject.

Because of the restrictions put in place by DRM, many people (myself included) prefer 'DRM free' games, files, etc. Meaning you buy one copy and there isn't any protection restriction it's movement to another device, backing it up, or doing whatever else you want. It of course still falls under other laws and licenses, but without DRM you're much less restricted.

Matt
"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken" -- Psalm 55:22
QB64 Linux Installer

OlDosLover

• OlDosLover
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 05:18:58 PM »
Hi all,
    I remember when i started computing , and i appreciated freeware compared to shareware and full price software. Those days it was simple. Now a days it seems far more complicated than necessary. I would never try to make money out of QB64 as to me its not the correct spirit. Im probably too old fashioned!
OlDosLover

Barrykgerdes

• Email
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 05:39:46 PM »
Any programs I write will always be free with source. I am not a programmer. However when I was working I did spend a lot of my time writing applications for our department management. I suppose you could call that being paid for writing programs.

Computers are great for solving mathmatical program, especially repetative problems and all my programs tend towards this type. I really don't care for "Games time wasters". (I do play Solitaire and Freecell while waiting for my computer to download/upload and crunch numbers)"

As for Games written in basic and other early languages I have a CD from 1983 full of the old bulletin board games and many of the "new" games are only revamped versions of these with pretty screens.

fluffrabbit

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 06:20:54 PM »
Quote from: OlDosLover on March 05, 2013, 05:18:58 PM
Hi all,
    I remember when i started computing , and i appreciated freeware compared to shareware and full price software. Those days it was simple. Now a days it seems far more complicated than necessary. I would never try to make money out of QB64 as to me its not the correct spirit. Im probably too old fashioned!
OlDosLover

Everyone has their own opinions about this. First of all, I don't think it should matter how a game was made. There is lots of software out there. The software that one chooses to make their commercial games/programs with should only affect how easy it is to do so and the quality of the end product. Licensing is a complicated ordeal and placing arbitrary restrictions on the usage of software is bad for everyone. I understand that it's more about sentiment and morality, but as far as I'm concerned, since QB64 allows for the creation of commercial software (and it should), I will add it to the list of programs I use to make such software. QB64 aside, I justify what I do in two other ways:

1) The economy. It's hard to find jobs and since I have a lot of game programming practice, I decided to put my skills to use for profit. At the same time, I am trying to find more gainful work, but as many people say, nobody wants to hire me. That's fine if I am successful at what I'm trying to do.

2) Paying for entertainment is a well established part of American society. My games are end-products that are designed to be interesting to customers. I try to price them fairly based on how much entertainment they provide. I understand that I am charging a little much, but my e-commerce site has a minimum 75 cent fee for each sale, so I'm afraid I have to charge over $1. In the future, once I have made enough games, I can bundle them and offer an even fairer price. 50 cents per game is what you would pay in an arcade, but I plan on charging even less than that, plus the customer gets to actually own the games so they can play them as many times as they want and only pay for them once. A game is something that people are willing but not required to pay for. Scientific and business software should not cost money, because it is something that people actually need.

Quote from: Barrykgerdes on March 05, 2013, 05:39:46 PM
Any programs I write will always be free with source. I am not a programmer. However when I was working I did spend a lot of my time writing applications for our department management. I suppose you could call that being paid for writing programs.

Computers are great for solving mathmatical program, especially repetative problems and all my programs tend towards this type. I really don't care for "Games time wasters". (I do play Solitaire and Freecell while waiting for my computer to download/upload and crunch numbers)"

As for Games written in basic and other early languages I have a CD from 1983 full of the old bulletin board games and many of the "new" games are only revamped versions of these with pretty screens.
That is a sad truth about casual games. If this is the customer perspective, I am in trouble. I am trying to distance myself any way I can from casual games. I am trying to make things that are new and take a long time to play, and have the feel of studio-quality games. For the most part, I am failing, and certain games (like Invasion of the Squares and Frogs or SWAT Training Warehouse) are complete crap. Those games will make it to the big cheap game bundle. At least their graphics look finished, which should fool the casual gamer at least long enough that they don't feel ripped off.

It sounds like you've never played real video games. This is scary to me. I was just talking with someone on the Internet, and he called Temple Run 2 a video game, citing that it had better graphics than Halo. Temple Run 2 is an app, not a game. It is nothing more than finger exercise. Now, you could say that Old Man Fish Catcher falls into the same category. While that technically is true, the "app" offers ways to both gain and lose points, which is a more complicated gameplay mechanic than Temple Run 2 offers, regardless of graphics. A video game is defined as a simulation with objectives. If it is anything short of that, it is an app. If it manages to be a video game but fails to give the player emotional reactions through the use of a progressing story or exciting/challenging/action gameplay, it is a casual game. You like to pick up a game and put it down. I'm different. I'm a gamer, and I play video games like I'm watching movies. In fact, I often find video games more immersive than movies. Have you ever played Half-Life? When I purchased that game, I played it day and night until I beat it, then I did it again twice. I probably enjoyed at least 70% of it, which is more than you can say about solitaire. I tell you what, if the video game industry in the next four years branches in the direction either of casual apps or MMORPGs, I'm choosing MMORPGs. They are more hardcore.

OlDosLover

• OlDosLover
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 07:33:12 PM »
Hi all,
    Thanks for sharing those insights fluffrabbit. Lucky for you i dont expect you to live to my rules! However i expressed myself as you did.  A lot  of what you say makes sense. My two fav games of all time are Starcraft and Diablo2. I have played both since inception and still do today. Regardless of peoples different value systems you are  making a contribution to QB64 and for that i thank you and support you.
    Good luck with your future.
OlDosLover.

• Print