• Print

Author Topic: read write files in windows 7 and 8  (Read 159 times)

RANDOM1

read write files in windows 7 and 8
« on: February 26, 2013, 11:52:08 PM »
Hi guys/gals

I have a program that reads and writes to several files and it works fine on XP but not windows 7 or 8.
The install directory is on the main drive and all the sub folders are located inside the main program
folder.  The problem is that the newer windows places the data files in other locations.  Is there a simple
way to either force these os's to use the install directory files or change my code so that it uses the windows
locations.  I don't have a  win7 or 8 to test it on but have gotten several reports from users using those
platforms.   Help needed.

r1

OlDosLover

• OlDosLover
    • Email
Re: read write files in windows 7 and 8
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 12:45:28 AM »
Hi all,
    I got Win7 and have never had that problem. Could you link us an example program with data files and i'll test it out for you.
OlDosLover.

RANDOM1

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 08:07:32 AM »
old doss lover

The program has over 14 thousand lines of code with dozens of "Open" statements.  Being that I don't have
win 7 or 8 it would be impossible for me to know which ones are causing the problem.  It seems to be tied to
certain users and that's why I think it's OS related.  I am checking to make sure that all the open statements
use the full path.  When the program is first ran it finds the working directory and then builds strings with the
full paths to all of the data files.  These are then used anytime a open statement is called.  Many people don't
have this problem and the program has been ran on windows 8 without any problems.  I thought that someone
gifted with these OS's might have an idea of what's going on as I think it's somehow related to windows configuration.   You can download the program at https://www.box.com/s/p6so7561i1cca9zjm02t. It's
licensed for free but is not freeware or shareware.   This is not a full version but it is the one people are using.
It has been downloaded around 5000 times and I get very few bug reports.  One of the most reported problems
is that the setting are not saved when the program is exited.   Please don't laugh at program I am new to QB64.

r1

RANDOM1

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 08:22:11 AM »
I found the problem, i will be uploading a fixed version later today in case anyone wants to
download the program.  No help files are included in the download as they are still being
worked on.

r1

OlDosLover

• OlDosLover
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 09:26:51 AM »
Hi all,
    I downloaded it and its an exe file. Is the the fixed version? Do you still need me to test it for you?
OlDosLover.

wiggins

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 04:34:53 PM »
I have been testing QB64 on Windows XP, 7 & 8.  I have not run into the issue that you described.  I can tell you that you have to verify that the directories are accessible from a security perspective. 

If you upload some code, I would be happy to look at it.

• Print