• Print

Author Topic: qb64 for linux , file permissions  (Read 268 times)

Billbo

• Email
Re: qb64 for linux , file permissions
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 05:01:12 AM »
I'm not familiar with Linux, but are premissions like attributes?

Bill

Barrykgerdes

• Email
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 01:59:44 PM »
Linux has two principal areas of storage. The system area and personal file area.

The system area needs Administrator permission to access. This is provided by the "Sudo" command and a password entry.

The personal area is accessible to the person who owns it, set at start up also by a password and is access as required by that person with name and password.

If you start Linux as "root" you will have access to the system area but not you personal file area. However unless you really understand Linux you cannot access this manner because you need to reset the "root" password and how to do this is not normally provided by your "Dist." although it can be found out by devious methods and once reset you can always access the root area. (I always reset mine).

When pre-built "packages" are down loaded they will normally be placed in the "usr" area, using the "sudo" command, which is generally protected and this often does not allow modification of files without administrator the priviledges of "sudo".

I always try to get the programs I want into my personal area. This is usually where the program source you down load will reside. However before you can use "source" you must build an executive program. This is what we do with Qb64 and this also means adding build tools to the system area if they are not already there (eg SDL tools ). These are added by a command like "sudo apt-get install" followed by the list of tools by using the command line program "terminal". This will place them in the system area. Once this is done we can use Terminal to make the exec. file in your personal file area.

Barry

Billbo

• Email
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 04:30:02 PM »
Barrykgerdes,

Thanks for the info, but I think I'll stick with Windows for now.

Bill

• Print