• Print

Author Topic: switching to ubuntu  (Read 133 times)

• Email
switching to ubuntu
« on: January 18, 2013, 08:26:20 PM »
Hay I just switched to ubuntu and I can't get anything working.  I have only used windows before, so I didn't want to switch but Microsoft won the dutch bag of the year when they sent me a message that my 8  beta expired and I had one hour to buy the full version, or it would format my computer.  :(
I was at least able to save my files(although I am still not sure how to get to them)

Could someone explain step by step how to get qb64 working right. Keep in mind I am still not even sure how to open files in this OS. 

P.S I tried youtube videos but jave is not working right.

FALCON

• Linux Mint
    • Email
Re: switching to ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 08:46:53 PM »
Well to start I highly recommend Linux Mint over ubuntu. I had countless problems with the latest ubuntu as well. Mint is much better, not perfect but much better.  In either case you will want to be connected to the internet (huge battle for me with ubuntu). Then you will want to go to the software manager and install all the files listed  for running the Linux version of qb64, g++ and some others. Then execute the setup.sh file. You may have to check the properties on this file and make sure it is executable otherwise Linux will open it in a text editor rather than running the program.  Good luck.

Yamatara

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 08:49:20 PM »
Which type of QB64 are you planning on running on Ubuntu Linux? If it is the GL version I cannot help but if it is the SDL version make sure you have access to the Synaptics Package Manager. Do a search for SDL and install packages libsdl-gfx1.2-4, libsdl-ttf2.0-dev, libsdl-image1.2-dev, libsdl-gfx1.2-dev, libsdl1.2-dev, libsdl-mixer1.2-dev, libsdl-console, libsdl-ttf2.0-0, libsdl-image1.2, libsdl-net1.2-dev, and hope for the best. A lot of these will automatically install other packages along with. Also make sure you have gcc installed which is the compiler. Then there should be a setup script for compiling QB64. Run that and if it fails it should tell you what packages are missing. That is the extent that I can tell you. There are people with more knowledge than me that can fill in the holes if something goes wrong. If you do get it to work the rest should be pretty easy. The files from Windows should load in the Linux version of QB64 with little modification.

P.S. I do have a working copy on my Ubuntu box but I hardly use it. I mostly program on Mac but I am working on building a server which requires me to have an environment established on each platform.

DSMan195276

• Yes
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 08:54:33 PM »
Try using my installer (Link in my signature). Just download the SDL version, extract the archive (It should give you the option when you download it). After that, I would make a directory on your desktop named QB64 and put the file that's in the archive in that folder. Then, just double click the file that was in that archive and choose 'run in terminal' if you're given the option. Once it's done, QB64 is 'installed'. The newest version of my installer will even add a menu entry for you, so for Ubuntu you should be able to search for QB64 from the dash and find it (Though I haven't tested it). You can also run QB64 by double clicking the "run_qb64.sh" file that will be in the qb64 directory that you installed Qb64 into.

Hope that helps,

Matt
"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken" -- Psalm 55:22
QB64 Linux Installer

• Email
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 08:56:44 PM »
 :D Thinks for the help I think I can handle it from here.

Now I just need to find out why I can only watch youtube videos posted between 09 and 2012 . . . the wonders of freeware   :-\

DSMan195276

• Yes
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 08:58:58 PM »
Quote from: 23452 on January 18, 2013, 08:56:44 PM
:D Thinks for the help I think I can handle it from here.

Now I just need to find out why I can only watch youtube videos posted between 09 and 2012 . . . the wonders of freeware   :-\

I'd be happy to help with anything you have questions on, I've been using Linux for a few years now. I've never had a problem with Youtube Videos. Perhaps you don't have flash installed though? (I'm pretty sure Ubuntu has it by default, but I'm not completely sure). If you click the software center you can search for Flash and you should find it and be able to see if it's installed.

Matt
"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken" -- Psalm 55:22
QB64 Linux Installer

• Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 09:50:48 PM »
I ran into a new problem. The installer is acting like it works but it doesn't( I have all the little sdl downloaded) I think it is because it is using google chrome to open shellscript files. What should it be using, or for that matter should the installer even be a shellscirpt.

DSMan195276

• Yes
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 09:57:24 PM »
Quote from: 23452 on January 18, 2013, 09:50:48 PM
I ran into a new problem. The installer is acting like it works but it doesn't( I have all the little sdl downloaded) I think it is because it is using google chrome to open shellscript files. What should it be using, or for that matter should the installer even be a shellscirpt.

Yes, the installer is a shellscript, it's inside of a '.tar.gz' archive which is very similar to a windows ZIP file. If you're given a choice of what program to use, check if there is one called 'file-roller' which would be able to open the file for you. I know that FireFox (Which Ubuntu has by default) should detect what to use and give you a choice automatically.

Matt
QB64 Linux Installer

• Print