• Print

Author Topic: Any plans to make QB64 more Linux friendly?  (Read 662 times)

Clippy

• I LOVE π = 4 * ATN(1)    Use the QB64 WIKI >>>
    • Pete's Qbasic Site
    • Email
Re: Any plans to make QB64 more Linux friendly?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 03:27:45 AM »
What's to know? I just unzip QB64 and go...  ;)
QB64 WIKI: Main Page
Download Q-Basics Code Demo: Q-Basics.zip
Download QB64 BAT, IconAdder and VBS shortcuts: QB64BAT.zip
Download QB64 DLL files in a ZIP: Program64.zip

mn64

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 09:14:39 PM »
Quote from: DSMan195276 on September 30, 2012, 03:09:29 AM
I could write out a full script to do an entire QB64-SDL installation on Ubuntu that involves both installing SDL and then compiling QB64 for Ubuntu in 30 seconds.

and you should. that would take care of the problem for sdl users. you already know that gl is going to solve problems, for you lucky people that can run it (i have the needed libs, it compiles fine, doesn't run. in fact it segfaults...) but it only solves it one or two distros at a time: the packages don't have the same names in each distro (they don't for me, and i only use debian and arch derivatives) and packages are real work. do the script! have it check the for the distro name and "are you sure? (y/n)" if the distro doesn't match.

DSMan195276

• Yes
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 09:49:42 PM »
mn64:

I've wrote a few different installers over my time here. I know I've at least looked up how to install it for Fedora and pretty much have how to install it for Ubuntu/Debian/Mint and Arch down by heart at this point. I also write a program to install it on Ubuntu automatically (In C++ since I was trying to use the language at the time to get better at it). I always felt like a script for Arch would be somewhat pointless (Since if you're using arch you should probably at least know the basics of installing packges and such) but a script wouldn't be hard and thus probably worth it.

What I haven't done is do a script for multiple Linux distros, and honestly that's a good idea that I wish I had realized to do a while ago. I wrote out a script for Ubuntu (Just an apt-get really) that I believe Galleon added in to the GL package, but possible not yet. Do you by any chance have a few Linux's installed that you could test the script out on? I'd plan to have Fedora, Ubuntu/Debian/Mint, and Arch supported since I can do Arch easy and the others are what most people here are using, and I should be able to write the script through looking up some package names online for the distros, I can't test out any of them except Arch currently (I'm in the middle of moving my Laptop to an SSD so all I have installed is Arch. I might install Mint as well but that'll be it.)

Side note: What are you running that makes it seg fault? If you could, could you tell me what distro you tried on? GL works for me on Arch, and I believe I've compiled it on Mint and Ubuntu and I have a binary of GL floating around that's worth trying -- It's a 32-bit binary -- For me it worked on Arch, Ubuntu, Mint, and will probably work on others barring some extremly different versions of come core packages .

Matt
"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken" -- Psalm 55:22
QB64 Linux Installer

mn64

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 02:45:32 AM »
i tried it on parsix (debian unstable... i guess it really is! 2.x kernel) and on trisquel, 3.x kernel. on parsix it compiled but segfaults, on trisquel it won't compile (it runs out of ram!) but the binary runs, it says there's an error on line 88 or something like that. no segfault.

everything is 32-bit, i haven't gotten any advantages out of installing 64 bit os's yet. there's no easy way for me to get a binary, the only ones i'll try are the ones i compile (or are in the repos for distros i use.) i will be trying to compile newer versions of gl at some point, right now sdl is reliable though.

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 03:51:12 PM »
I read your post at n54 too. Sorry to hear about the problems. 'QB64-GL' is still in the very early stages of development and it's quite possible the freeze is a result of it hogging memory by making too many video back-buffers. Anyway, over time I promise to fix these issues.
Something old... Something new... Something borrowed... Something blue...

DSMan195276

• Yes
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 03:52:14 PM »
i tried it on parsix (debian unstable... i guess it really is! 2.x kernel) and on trisquel, 3.x kernel. on parsix it compiled but segfaults, on trisquel it won't compile (it runs out of ram!) but the binary runs, it says there's an error on line 88 or something like that. no segfault.

I actually just got an email from someone using the binary who had the same line 88 error, or "Path Not Found" error. That's actualy a very good sign because that means the compiled version of QB64-GL runs on your machine. What you forgot (And what I should have mentioned) is that you still need QB64 GL's 'internal' folder for QB64 to work, and if it can't find that folder (Path not found) then it shut's itself down.So if you just download the latest QB64 GL version, untar it, and then put this binary into the untared folder you should be ok.

Matt

EDIT: Could you all try running this little script and tell it what it returns? It'd be helpful as I only have Arch easily available at the moment to test.

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh

QB64_URL=
QB64_ZIP_NAME=qb64.tar.gz
DISTRO=
BITS=

lsb_command=`which lsb_release 2> /dev/null`
if [ -z "$lsb_command" ]; then
  lsb_command=`which lsb_release 2> /dev/null`
fi

if [ -n "$lsb_command" ]; then
  DISTRO=`$lsb_command -si | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]'`
elif [ -e /etc/arch-release ]; then
  DISTRO=arch
elif [ -e /etc/debian_version ] || [ -e /etc/debian_release ]; then
  DISTRO=debian
elif [ -e /etc/fedora-release ]; then
  DISTRO=fedora
fi

echo "Your distro: $DISTRO"

Just save it as something like "install_test.sh" and then set the executable bit on it ("chmod +x ./install_test.sh") and then run it and let me know what it says. Thanks. I think this will work on Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Fedora, Arch, and probably some others.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 05:01:59 PM by DSMan195276 »
"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken" -- Psalm 55:22
QB64 Linux Installer

mn64

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 07:48:43 AM »
hi, i appreciate your help but i'm not going to supply every jot and tittle of the setup, as much as i'd like to.

however, i'm happy to say i got the ide running thanks to your help and garry's. i haven't yet copied over the other necessary folders (can't yet) but for now the ide runs and won't compile. that's not terribly surprising, now that the ide runs.

gl is sloooooooooow and a memory hog. considering that i have one system with enough ram, and the other will actually run the ide, i'm not sure this can ever work. but i've made progress, and that's a good sign.

thank you again, this feels less hopeless already.

mn64

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 08:16:26 AM »
Quote from: Galleon on January 02, 2013, 03:51:12 PM
Anyway, over time I promise to fix these issues.

i didn't even notice your reply the first time. originally i didn't want to mention it over here, because there's no need to get pessimistic yet. i know you've got skills that are completely unreal, and if anyone can fix this, i'm sure you can. it's not like the guys here are telling everyone they have to use the gl version before it's ready. sdl version is stellar-- i know i won't be too surprised when gl version is, regardless of what it feels like now. well, good luck-- i'm already farther with it than i planned.

DSMan195276

• Yes
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 01:14:46 AM »
Mn64:

Installer script: http://www.qb64.net/forum/index.php?topic=10267.0

Currently the list of supported distros isn't huge, but since it supports Debian that covers a lot of distros and really just requires adding their name into the script. Debian, Ubuntu, and Mint all install using the exact commands and package names for example, and any Debian based distro can be supported pretty much the exactly same way. It's also fairly easy to add new distro's if you have any recommendations (I'd recommend posting them on that topic though, just so we don't fill up this one on QB64-GL for Linux).

Matt
QB64 Linux Installer

• Print