Author Topic: qb64 editor  (Read 1393 times)

small

qb64 editor
« on: October 15, 2010, 02:07:46 pm »
I was wonder if it would be easy to modify the program to allow the user to input keyword desriptions and notes on the keyword help.

Clippy

• I LOVE π = 4 * ATN(1)    Use the QB64 WIKI >>>
    • Pete's Qbasic Site
    • Email
Re: qb64 editor
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 03:02:22 pm »
DosLover has created a CHM help reference that you can download here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10291175/QB64%20Help.rar

It will be updated monthly. The link to this file and the offline WIKI are always available on the Alphabetical or By Usage keyword lists in the WIKI.

Ted
QB64 WIKI: Main Page
Download Q-Basics Code Demo: Q-Basics.zip
Download QB64 BAT, IconAdder and VBS shortcuts: QB64BAT.zip
Download QB64 DLL files in a ZIP: Program64.zip

Cyperium

• Knowledge is good, but understanding is better
    • Cyperium
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 08:19:07 am »
Good idea! I'll implement that into the next version! (I assume you mean my custom editor and not the in-buildt QB64 editor).

Any suggestions on features is appreciated! Also if you can find any bugs I would be glad to hear about them!

Thanks!

I'm not entirely sure how it should work, but perhaps double-clicking on the keyword help screen can make it editable? Pressing F1 on a keyword that is new and double clicking on the keyword help will then add that keyword to the syntax list and description list.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 10:54:08 am by Cyperium »

small

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 11:59:27 am »
I am talking about your custom build editor. I am also talking about the help files being able to allow the user to input information into the descriptions like qb 4.5 has examples this way the user can input examples and notes. would help out new programmers to learn.

Cyperium

• Cyperium
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 12:48:32 pm »
I am talking about your custom build editor. I am also talking about the help files being able to allow the user to input information into the descriptions like qb 4.5 has examples this way the user can input examples and notes. would help out new programmers to learn.
I will implement this in steps, first the ability to add keywords and edit existing ones (including syntax and description), next I'll add the ability to add notes/examples as this will require extra work (and also require a scrollable area).

Clippy

• I LOVE π = 4 * ATN(1)    Use the QB64 WIKI >>>
    • Pete's Qbasic Site
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 01:15:12 pm »
WHY is it that the people who seem to have the MOST problems want to go BACK to that antiquated QB Help Index? I will never understand that! Of ALL the things that M$ did, the Help system was the WORST part of QB!

The IDE was great! It HAD TO BE! No wonder they have problems! I could never understand HALF of it until I had already been using it several years. I even went so far as to INVENT my own VAL function until I found it looking at somebody else's code.

My advise: Use the WIKI and LOOK at other people's code. That's how you learn! After a few years you won't even need it anymore...
QB64 WIKI: Main Page
Download Q-Basics Code Demo: Q-Basics.zip
Download QB64 BAT, IconAdder and VBS shortcuts: QB64BAT.zip
Download QB64 DLL files in a ZIP: Program64.zip

Cyperium

• Cyperium
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 01:47:45 pm »
I uploaded a video on YouTube showing how to use some of the extended features of my editor :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4_FiZ2S3fg

coma8coma1

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 02:50:34 pm »
I uploaded a video on YouTube showing how to use some of the extended features of my editor :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4_FiZ2S3fg

Nice! Thanks for sharing. I have yet to download our editor because i didn't understand what it was for. It's basiclaly do I can edit code right? Kinda like I use notepad for now?

OlDosLover

• OlDosLover
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 03:07:46 pm »
Hi all,
    Small are you asking about the CHM index and search features.? If so next issue will have those implemented. Meanwhile you can have both CHM and QB64 ide open and highlight copy then paste examples.
Regards All
OlDosLover

Cyperium

• Cyperium
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 04:22:51 pm »
To coma8coma1; yes, you can edit code, it formats the code correctly and can also execute the code (if you press F5) by using QB64. You have to extract the files to your QB64 folder, since that's where the necessary dll files are (they aren't included as you are meant to have it in the QB64 folder anyway). There's some things in my editor that the QB64 editor doesn't have yet, like color selection, instant formatting when changing line, ASCII character set (as you can see in the video) and other features.

QB64 has many things that my editor lacks though, like instant syntax checking  (you can press F6 to search for errors in my editor but it doesn't find all the errors that QB64 finds, though it may find some errors that QB64 can't yet find) but it can be good to have a alternative!

coma8coma1

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 04:38:00 pm »
thats great, cy! i'll have to check it out.

Cyperium

• Cyperium
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 06:03:44 pm »
I made a new video too, it's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4DZmMWKfvM

coma8coma1

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 06:56:18 pm »
Nice video, thanks for sharing!

Cyperium

• Cyperium
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 10:40:50 am »
No problems! Haven't seen you around for quite some time, glad that you are back!

coma8coma1

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 07:39:01 pm »
My interests steered elsewhere for awhile. On a whim I played a game of Dragon Stone Quest a few weeks ago and remembered how much I enjoyed working on it and how much time and effort (sweat blood n tears?) i've poured into it and what a shame it would be to never see at least the first world complete. :)