Author Topic: A really crazy idea  (Read 248 times)

Aturnwald

• Hi folks, hope I'm right here ? :-)
A really crazy idea
« on: December 07, 2017, 01:42:44 pm »
 Hello to you,
i hope I'm right here in the forum, if not, Sorry.
So, my crazy idea is, I'd like to do an implementation the complete QB64 code in a 8-Bit machine for e.g. VIC-20 or Commodore C64. Because a few guys are actually building a
big and new VIC-20 with big memory, more colors and all the stuff from the 21st Century, so it would be a fast, nice crazy new/old Commodore VIC-20.
And my plan is, I'd like to tune up the Basic of the VIC-20 and I'd like to use QB64.

So, my 1st question is, is there a way I can download the complete QB64 program in machine code ? It would be easier for me to translate this later for the VIC-20 ?
Also is there a way, to recompile your QB64 ? ( Sorry for my bad English, but I'm from German ) to get some sort of source code, because this code on the side, where you can download the program isn't very helpful for me.
So it would be nice, if anyone can tell me, what I can do, or on the other hand, are there any scripted texts  or routines for the
QB64 in case I didn't manage to recompile all the stuff, so I must write it on my own.

I hope I didn't explain it to badly.

Thank you for your help and have a nice time.

Ohh, Before I forgot, Is there any Copyright on QB64, or can everyone change parts of that program ?

bye bye Toni  ::)
....42 is almost the answer to all...excepted by a "Formula to complex, error"

Calloway

• Your eyes are too far to the left
Re: A really crazy idea
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 02:05:33 pm »
Why use QB64, mainly made for 64 bit addressing, on an 8 bit computer...

Johny B.

• QB64 Partner Site Owner
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 12:08:37 am »
Any download of qb64 contains all the source. The source folder contains the code for the IDE & compiler (they are the same program). The runtime library is written in C++ and is kept in internal/c. To recompile qb64 just compile source/qb64.bas.

Aturnwald

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 01:23:31 pm »
Why use QB64, mainly made for 64 bit addressing, on an 8 bit computer...

Hello I hope I can explain it to you in a correct English form, because I'm from Bavaria ( south German ) and my English isn't so good.
So I will try to you to  explain what I will do.
A crazy guy from the VIC-20 community is actually building a brand new VIC-20 Computer, with more RAM, more Colors and a better Graphic and Sound, also with more Memory.
I saw his project and it look quite funny at all. Also the complete system runs under 64 bit. So I thought about that idea, I will write a brand new Version of Basic and then I'd like to save this on EPROM, so it will be avaible on module for the VIC-20.
The best part of my project is, his new VIC-20 runs also under some sort of emulator on any PC, MAC ect.
The new Basic from me should be some sort of Q-Basic or QB64 or a mixture of BasicA from the early days, also I must included the complete original Basic V3 from the VIC-20.
Because I'd like the option to run maybe some easy MS-DOS Basic programs on a VIC-20 and a few other files.
That is the main reason for me, to build this Basic version for the VIC-20.
Also I have in the end of December till January a free time, so I mustn't work at all and for me it's fun and I can better learn to write programs. That's all. I hope I have explained it correctly to you. If there are any questions left, please feel free to ask.

cheerio Toni

Aturnwald

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 01:30:31 pm »
Any download of qb64 contains all the source. The source folder contains the code for the IDE & compiler (they are the same program). The runtime library is written in C++ and is kept in internal/c. To recompile qb64 just compile source/qb64.bas.

Hello,
thank you for the link. I download that files and hopefully, in a few days, I have a few results, that I can post it here. So during this time, I wish you a nice day.
cheerio Toni