Author Topic: Recent WIKI edits  (Read 1215 times)

RhoSigma

• Out of Time !!
Re: Recent WIKI edits
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 04:41:22 am »
IF "dog" = "dog" + CHR$(0) + "food" THEN PRINT "They're the same"

Guess what?  QB64-SDL happily tells you that they're the same!

Where's the problem with that? It's absolutly right for me, CHR$(0) is considered a string termination character in most programming languages, hence the 2nd string ENDs right after "dog" and so both are same. Just because BASIC could happily carry 0-chars in its strings, we don't must change our understanding where a string ends and where not.

In most other languages, incl. C/C++ you must implement your own stuff, if you wanna tread CHR$(0) as a regular character within a "binary data" buffer. Every stdlib function does blow you out of the water, as soon as a zero-termination is found in a given string.

Clippy

• I LOVE π = 4 * ATN(1)    Use the QB64 WIKI >>>
    • Pete's Qbasic Site
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 05:03:23 am »
Ask: Why does anyone use the old QB64 SDL? What more does it offer than QB64GL? When you compare this (the same operability for both), there is no reason to return to QB64SDL. In current time is this not valid, here are some statements, better in QB64 SDL.

Simple, SDL has a better sound license! GL sound code must be shared...
QB64 WIKI: Main Page
Download Q-Basics Demo: Q-Basics.zip
Download QB64 BAT, IconAdder and VBS shortcuts: QB64BAT.zip
QB64 SDL

SMcNeill

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 06:28:33 am »
IF "dog" = "dog" + CHR$(0) + "food" THEN PRINT "They're the same"

Guess what?  QB64-SDL happily tells you that they're the same!

Where's the problem with that? It's absolutly right for me, CHR$(0) is considered a string termination character in most programming languages, hence the 2nd string ENDs right after "dog" and so both are same. Just because BASIC could happily carry 0-chars in its strings, we don't must change our understanding where a string ends and where not.

Now that's the goofiest thing I've heard in a long time.  Just because BASIC did it, we don't need to do it because we're....  what are we again??  QC64??

No, we're not!  We're QB64 -- which is BASIC at its core.  Doesn't matter if C, Fortran, and COBOL all think CHR$(0) is an ending character.  BASIC doesn't, and it's a complete and utter failure of the language to not adhere to its own rule set. 

Might as well say, "We can count CHR$(13) as an end character as well because that's how Tyni does it."
http://bit.ly/Color32BI -- A set of color CONST for use in 32 bit mode, as a BI library.

RhoSigma

• Out of Time !!
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 10:10:52 am »
Now that's the goofiest thing I've heard in a long time.
No, it's nothing more or less than a personal opinion, my preferred way to look at Strings. I would never ever come to the idea of doing such a thing like in your "dog" example, that's completely against my usual thinking when coding. If I ever need such thing, eg. a char separated keyword list, then I would take a printable char as separator, just as Fellippe did (using @) with the IDE internal keyword strings. If the string comparing is so good in QB64-GL and allows for CHR$(0), then why he preferrs to use a printable char instead of CHR$(0) or any other special char.

I absolutely know, that everybody has his own opinions here and there, nothing is 100% right or wrong, and that's the point I'd like to underline according to your fight with Clippy about keeping SDL related information in the wiki. Nobody, not you and not Clippy is 100% right or wrong. There are certainly lots of people, who find the SDL related info valuable, me inclusive, so I tend to follow Petr statement (http://www.qb64.net/forum/index.php?topic=14558.msg126235#msg126235), why destroy old work done on the Wiki?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 11:45:20 am by RhoSigma »

Pete

• Cuz I sez so varmint!
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 11:51:37 am »
You're missing the point.... dog spelled backwards is Steve!

Pete  ;D
Give a man a program, and he does one thing for a day. Teach a man to program, and he does one thing for a lifetime.

Petr

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 12:00:52 pm »
RhoSigma: I've edited it to highlight my opinion that even from this old version you can take some improvements to the new version. Of course it is not easy. When I look at it: Clippy keep Wiki. Old version, even new. It's a lot of work. And now comes the order: Delete everything . Why. That's a terrible shame. It would really be better to make a wiki link to the old QB64 and put all the work in it. The Clippy´s work is sense, the meaning of the time spent by Clippy and Clippy will not have to do more wiki work, with a feeling, that once again the day will come when all his work is gone. None of the developers would want this. Hand on your heart.
Clippy does this for everyone, and thus retains its work for the next generations of those interested in QB64. If I offended someone with my opinions, I'm sorry. I would like the QB64 to be a top-notch language, and I have no reason to blame someone for anything.

Coding is relax.

Dav

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 06:10:00 pm »
I still use both QB64 versions.  I have to use QB64-SDL when compiling tools for my WinPE boot disks.  Those EXE's will run from them.  I couldn't get any QB64-GL exes to run.

EDIT:  Sorry, I think I replied to the wrong thread... not sure how that happened.  Is there a way to delete this post here?  I meant to post this in the QB64-SDL DEMOS thread.

- Dav
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:16:26 pm by Dav »
(Visit Dav's Qbasic Site) (Grab my IDE)

Pete

• Cuz I sez so varmint!
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 06:53:32 pm »
Unless there have been changes, transporter privileges were not handed out to mods. Since both threads kind of have the same SDL basis, may just leave this here and repost it to the SDL one Steve started. So far, it's just you and me and Clippy makes three.

Pete  ;D
Give a man a program, and he does one thing for a day. Teach a man to program, and he does one thing for a lifetime.

Mal-2

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2017, 07:10:06 pm »
Simple, SDL has a better sound license! GL sound code must be shared...

Why does this keep coming up? I already posted the proof that merely linking LGPL-licensed modules does not obligate you to open your source. You have to open up any changes you make to that library though -- assuming you do. You probably don't have to.
Please excuse my spaghetti code. Music is my real job, mal-2.bandcamp.com and whitemice.bandcamp.com (though I also write).
When Chuck Norris throws an exception, it is always fatal.

Pete

• Cuz I sez so varmint!
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2017, 09:58:39 pm »
Why does this keep coming up? I already posted the proof that merely linking LGPL-licensed modules does not obligate you to open your source. You have to open up any changes you make to that library though -- assuming you do. You probably don't have to.

Maybe because you have a funny ascii tag line, so nobody takes you seriously? BTW: To really throw an exception, you need Steven Segal.

Pete  ;D