Author Topic: How would I make buttons activated by touching between coordinates?  (Read 611 times)

MarkSkits

I'm trying to port a math program over to android, and decided to make use of the touchscreen all phones have. How would I go about doing this?

Pete

• Cuz I sez so varmint!
Re: How would I make buttons activated by touching between coordinates?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 07:44:31 pm »
Sad, but Android is dead in the water. I'd love to be able to run my QB64 apps in an Android device with touch screen abilities but this was never quite accomplished by the developer.

Pete  :(
Give a man a program, and he does one thing for a day. Teach a man to program, and he does one thing for a lifetime.

Calloway

• Your eyes are too far to the left
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 04:04:30 pm »
Sad, but Android is dead in the water. I'd love to be able to run my QB64 apps in an Android device with touch screen abilities but this was never quite accomplished by the developer.

Pete  :(
It couldn't be impossible to get whether a mouse or finger is down between two coordinates...

Pete

• Cuz I sez so varmint!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 08:10:32 pm »
It's not impossible to get blood out of a stone... as long as you bash someone over the head with it first.

Pete  ;D
Give a man a program, and he does one thing for a day. Teach a man to program, and he does one thing for a lifetime.

MarkSkits

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 01:03:00 pm »
No specific "create button" command or anything?

Pete

• Cuz I sez so varmint!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 12:00:12 am »
No support, no nothing...

The project was barely started and then it was abandoned by the developer. For whatever reason, he left it up on the forum, probably just to annoy me!

It would have been awesome to have qb64 on Android but I doubt it will ever be picked up angain and completed. Consider it a dead project. I think "Hello World" is about all that ever worked in it.

DOSBox has a decent emulator for Android. At least you can get qb64 programs that use only QuickBasic code to work on Android through DOSBox. Unfortunately this is just old stuff, so again there is no touch screen controls available. I have a couple old programs I use that way, but I need to invoke the Android virtual keyboard to operate them.

Sorry this whole QB64 Android never worked out. I honestly wish Rob would just take the forum down. Same with the GWAN forum. That project was never completed, either.

I will add that qb64 itself was an amazing accomplishment for having just one person on the project. Now there are a couple of people who help to debug some issues but that's about all. Supposedly the developer wants to start some new qb64-like project but you have to understand this one took 10 years to get this far and he had a lot more free time on his hands when he was younger.

Pete

Johny B.

• QB64 Partner Site Owner
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 02:08:27 am »
For once, I completely agree with Pete. The only person who had the interest & ability to develop the Android port has effectively disappeared, and leaving this forum section + stuff on the home page really isn't doing anyone any favours.

FellippeHeitor

• LET IT = BE
    • QB64.org
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 02:37:50 am »
I also agree. Everything Android is halted/abandoned for longer than two years now. It makes no sense to keep advertising it on the main page, forum, or wiki.

As for GWAN, the only interested person ever was Fifi. That's likely the reason only Fifi noticed it was ever actually done. http://www.qb64.net/forum/index.php?topic=13882.msg120390#msg120390

All the GWAN hype was solved when QB64 finally became capable of outputting the resulting binary to a different folder. That came with version 1.1 and the -o command line switch.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 02:46:19 am by FellippeHeitor »

FellippeHeitor

• LET IT = BE
    • QB64.org
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 02:42:14 am »

Even with what was available back in the day, you'd have to do it all manually. A touch on a screen is actually a click of the mouse. You'd work with _MOUSEINPUT and its helper functions.

Clippy

• I LOVE π = 4 * ATN(1)    Use the QB64 WIKI >>>
    • Pete's Qbasic Site
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 07:25:43 am »

That would be done using graphics with the coordinates noted in your mouse code...

As to Android FEW people even TRIED to make anything. CENSORING attempts by removing this  forum cannot help...
QB64 WIKI: Main Page
Download Q-Basics Demo: Q-Basics.zip
Download QB64 BAT, IconAdder and VBS shortcuts: QB64BAT.zip
QB64 SDL

Pete

• Cuz I sez so varmint!
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 07:52:46 am »
Censoring? Spoken like a true goofball liberal. Leaving this forum up gives new members and people who join QB64, because they see "Android" projects here, a false since of hope. Further they believe they can get assistance from the membership here when they discover it isn't working. Well, it isn't working not because they are necessarily doing anything wrong; rather, it is isn't working because it was never developed to a stable working release in the first place.

Alternatives are to archive it, put up a sticky that explains the situation so people know it isn't going to run their stuff on Android, or take it down completely. It's not your fault that you don't get this concept. It was presented second year at Carnegie Mellon. Well after you left.

Pete  ;D

Clippy

• I LOVE π = 4 * ATN(1)    Use the QB64 WIKI >>>
    • Pete's Qbasic Site
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 10:21:41 am »
It is NOT my concept to GET. It is Galleon's
QB64 WIKI: Main Page
Download Q-Basics Demo: Q-Basics.zip
Download QB64 BAT, IconAdder and VBS shortcuts: QB64BAT.zip
QB64 SDL

Pete

• Cuz I sez so varmint!
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 10:32:18 am »
It is your concept to get. The fact that you cannot do anything about it is irrelevant to your inability to comprehend it.

Pete  ;D

- I'm not a doctor on TV but I play one in real life.

Petr

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 09:37:51 am »
Pete, try show us something like that, instead of eternally teasing Clippy.
Coding is relax.

SkyCharger001

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2017, 05:59:17 am »
Perhaps this forum needs to have "(outdated)" added to its title.
this should work as a first indicator that what's found here won't be very helpful, or won't even work at all.