Author Topic: Changes to sound output  (Read 1651 times)

SkyCharger001

Re: Changes to sound output
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 11:05:37 pm »
you misunderstand, this was in response to your statement that there was no need to maintain the SDL references of the WIKI. (and that is one of the oldest GL-bugs, and it still hasn't been fixed)

to put it simple: There are many who simply can't use GL for one reason or another.

SMcNeill

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 02:10:06 am »
you misunderstand, this was in response to your statement that there was no need to maintain the SDL references of the WIKI. (and that is one of the oldest GL-bugs, and it still hasn't been fixed)

to put it simple: There are many who simply can't use GL for one reason or another.

SDL support ended two and a half years ago.  Versions of it haven't been offered on the forums here, in all that time.

If folks have somehow managed to get or maintain a version of QB64-SDL, then they should've prepared by getting a copy of the wiki from 2015 to go with it.  There's no need for us to keep stuff up which is no longer relevant to the language, hasn't been relevant to the language for many years, and which will not be relevant in the future.

It's fine if folks want to remain stuck in time, but if they're going to make that choice, they should do so FULLY.  When HappyChickenProgram v12 comes out, do they document HappyChickenProgram v1.1296??  If you want a copy of HCP v1.2396 documentation, you look for a v1.2396 manual.  You don't expect v12's manual to be your "goto source" for all quirks of the syntax of the software.
http://bit.ly/Color32BI -- A set of color CONST for use in 32 bit mode, as a BI library.

Clippy

• I LOVE π = 4 * ATN(1)    Use the QB64 WIKI >>>
    • Pete's Qbasic Site
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 03:58:37 am »
Yes they do! They usually document all changes in each new version.

What we have now is little or no documentation of  ANY changes, just blind revisions!

I used to document changes until Galleon stopped documenting the GL revisions.

Now we have 4 or 5 people adding anything they want...
QB64 WIKI: Main Page
Download Q-Basics Demo: Q-Basics.zip
Download QB64 BAT, IconAdder and VBS shortcuts: QB64BAT.zip
QB64 SDL

SMcNeill

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 04:39:01 am »
What we have now is little or no documentation of  ANY changes, just blind revisions!

I used to document changes until Galleon stopped documenting the GL revisions.

Doing a really bang up job on it then....

Sound pages claim half a dozen formats are supported, when we support THREE....
Image pages claim you can use about a dozen image formats.  You can actually only use FOUR -- and only then as 32-bit color images.  256 color images auto-convert up to 32-bit automatically...
Fonts don't use "bold, italic, underline" for anything...

We've swapped over to GL "officially", two and a half years ago, and YOU still haven't documented these alterations, even though they've been pointed out over and over and over by various users...

Do you know WHY there's little to no documentation??

YOU.

If someone other than you makes a change to the wiki, you revert it or alter it into oblivion.  You're an ass and your toxic personality drives people to just say, "SCREW IT."  YOU don't care a whit about whether something is documented properly or not.  You just like to pretend to have a position of authority, when you actually are completely clueless about what the language supports, no longer supports, or what it may support in the future.

Galleon needs to kick you to the curb ASAP and let others take over the wiki who are willing to get our documentation up to date and relevant for the current user base. 

We don't need to document GW-BASIC junk.  We don't need to document QB45 junk.  We don't need to document QB64-Obsolete-SDL junk.

If we don't even have proper documentation for sound, images, or fonts -- because everything is stuck teaching folks about what worked in the no longer available SDL version -- exactly what use is there in even bothering to have a wiki anymore??  It's worthless.

What we need is a set of documentation which reflects what we DO support, and as of 2015, that's ONLY been the QB64-GL version.

Everything else is just junk that makes it more difficult for the end users to be able to sort out what is actually relevant to them.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 05:28:49 am by SMcNeill »
http://bit.ly/Color32BI -- A set of color CONST for use in 32 bit mode, as a BI library.

SMcNeill

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 06:08:32 am »
To give an example of how screwed up the current documentation is look at http://www.qb64.net/wiki/index.php?title=LOADIMAGE

Optional mode INTEGER values can be any valid screen mode except zero, 256 color, 32 bit or 33 hardware image.

So _LOADIMAGE doesn't work for SCREEN 0, 256-color, or 32-bit images??

And yet example 2 shows mode being 256 and example 3 shows it being 32-bit...   Documentation says explicitly that 256 and 32 doesn't work -- and then a demo claims that it will -- which it WON'T for the 256 color image, but WILL for 32-bit....

Example 1 won't compile or run.  Neither will example 2.  Half the demos are invalid...

QB64-GL will NOT work with: PNM, XPM, XCF, PCX, TIF, LBM, and TGA...

There's more junk wrong on the page than there is right.

Clippy

• Pete's Qbasic Site
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 06:52:08 am »
YOU took months to never document YOUR OWN functions!

You have editing so why did you not fix the page info? No you just WANT THE LATEST INFO and the hell with ALL of the older versions...

BTW many of those GL limitations were projected to be fixed eventually. Where is your crack team of developers?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:00:42 am by Clippy »
QB64 SDL

SMcNeill

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 08:09:13 am »
YOU took months to never document YOUR OWN functions!

You have editing so why did you not fix the page info? No you just WANT THE LATEST INFO and the hell with ALL of the older versions...

BTW many of those GL limitations were projected to be fixed eventually. Where is your crack team of developers?

I never documented anything because YOU were ass enough to go in, alter it, and screw it up.  Why even bother with the effort when you go out of your way to undo things faster than someone else can do them???

Fixed EVENTUALLY??   So you feel there's no need to document what folks use NOW, because of what MIGHT be added later??

I'm all for documenting older versions OF QB64-GL, but keeping reams of SDL-specific stuff in the wiki has got to go the way of the dodo! A person can't even get an "official" version of QB64-SDL any more; they have to get a copy from some stranger from the Internet, who could be passing them all sorts of virus, spyware, Trojan-filled crap!!

We dropped support for SDL two and a half years ago.  Keeping SDL specific info in the wiki at this point is just obfuscating the site.  QB64-SDL is dead and gone.  Remove it from the wiki.

If it means that much to you, as you say:

You can document on your own sites as well...

Personally, I think Galleon said it best though:

I will be discontinuing all support for the SDL version of QB64 at qb64.net on Feb 1st 2015. All downloads (official and unofficial) for QB64-SDL will be removed. The reason is simple. QB64 cannot afford to have its development/support efforts split across multiple versions.

If you feel passionately about this, let me remind you that QB64-SDL (like QB64-GL) is open source and you are entitled to host and/or continue its development off-site if you so wish.

Feel free to host and continue to document SDL stuff off-site.

Clippy

• Pete's Qbasic Site
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2017, 03:29:26 am »
_HYPOT still needs documented... GL Version numbers and dates too please.

SDL is available in my signature. Why? Because GL has to include open sound code.

Add all the documentation necessary, just don't remove old info.

Plenty of people still need and use it! I get notified of all edits. No problems with your recent edits. Hope you developers keep the new keywords to a minimum...

QB64 SDL