Author Topic: Latest additions to the IDE and Compiler  (Read 18574 times)

FellippeHeitor

• QB64 Partner Site Owner
  • LET IT = BE
    • QB64.org
Re: Latest additions to the IDE and Compiler
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2016, 07:45:59 am »
To all:

The past eight pages of additions documented in this thread are now officially included in version 1.1. Hope you guys enjoy using them as much as I enjoyed contributing them.

Fellippe.

notemeal

• I think I may have coded myself into a comma,,,
« Reply #121 on: October 06, 2016, 02:00:18 pm »
How nice to see that FIX(version) > 0   !!

Fellippe:
I don't know how much of a problem this would be but...

Would it be possible to fill out the menu that one gets when a block of text is highlighted and one gets to select the action by right clicking the mouse?  This is the menu with Cut, Copy, Paste, Clear, Select All .  In the next box, there is Comment and Uncomment.  This is the two commands that I am referring to here.

Is it possible to make a keyboard combo of, say, Shift ' for Comment and Ctrl ' for commenting and uncommenting text?  I have found that since I discovered Comment and Uncomment, I use them quite a bit.  Allowing keyboard combos for them would allow the user to keep their hands on the keyboard and proceed.

Maybe it's just me.  I have always felt that 123 was a better spreadsheet than excel simply because I could keep my fingers on the keyboard and get things done a lot faster than continually doing keyboard-mouse-keyboard moves.

There would be a signature here but the signature-generating app is offline due to a cloud malfunction and various TCP/IP proxy anomalies due to the UN name server errors on the various internets.

FellippeHeitor

• LET IT = BE
    • QB64.org
« Reply #122 on: October 06, 2016, 07:35:24 pm »
Not hard at all. I just didn't find a common shortcut for the same (or similar) action in other IDEs so we could comply.

You will very likely see that in 1.2, whenever it comes.

Clippy

• I LOVE π = 4 * ATN(1)    Use the QB64 WIKI >>>
    • Pete's Qbasic Site
« Reply #123 on: October 07, 2016, 01:02:44 pm »
As to additions here, they are linked in the Editor section of this page:

http://www.qb64.net/wiki/index.php/IDE#QB64GL_IDE_Settings:

I suggest that you start a new thread for additions to dirty builds after 1.1 as it is 9 pages long already...

Other additions to other parts of QB64 should also be put elsewhere.

Some Fixes may need no mention in the WIKI at all if they fix things that should have worked that way already.

QB64 WIKI: Main Page
Download Q-Basics Demo: Q-Basics.zip
Download QB64 BAT, IconAdder and VBS shortcuts: QB64BAT.zip
QB64 SDL

notemeal

« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2016, 04:14:44 am »
@Fellippe: Is it my imagination or has the error reporting for INCLUDEs been improved/updated?  I got a pop up box a couple of days ago and the error was within an INCLUDE file and the exact line number was listed as opposed to the old way of finding out.   Thanks for improving the QB64 IDE.

One question I have is, is - is there a way to keep the window that pops up when compiling from appearing?  I have a program which invokes the compiler via SHELL _HIDE several times and I would rather not get the compiler window.

Holy mackeral: I just realized that I have been promoted to a "Full Member" (or is it actually "Fool Member"?!!).  I don't know what I did to achieve this plateau but if it keeps up at this rate, I should be the Moderator Moderator by 2030.
There would be a signature here but the signature-generating app is offline due to a cloud malfunction and various TCP/IP proxy anomalies due to the UN name server errors on the various internets.

FellippeHeitor

• LET IT = BE
    • QB64.org
« Reply #125 on: October 14, 2016, 04:50:05 am »
@Fellippe: Is it my imagination or has the error reporting for INCLUDEs been improved/updated?  I got a pop up box a couple of days ago and the error was within an INCLUDE file and the exact line number was listed as opposed to the old way of finding out.
YEAH!!! \:D/ http://www.qb64.net/forum/index.php?topic=13325.msg118884#msg118884

One question I have is, is - is there a way to keep the window that pops up when compiling from appearing?  I have a program which invokes the compiler via SHELL _HIDE several times and I would rather not get the compiler window.

Use the -x command line switch. Here's what you can do from the command line:
C:\qb64>qb64 -?
QB64 COMPILER V1.1

USAGE: qb64 [switches] <inputs>

OPTIONS:
  <file>                  Source file to load
  -c                      Compile instead of edit
  -x                      Compile instead of edit and output the result to the console
  -z                      Generate C code without compiling to executable
  -o <file>               Write output executable to <file>
  -e                      Enables OPTION _EXPLICIT, making variable declaration mandatory (per-compilation; doesn't affect the source file or global settings)
  -s[:switch=true/false]  View/edit compiler settings

Member "titles" evolve with the amount of messages one posts. Foolish, but it's cool to be promoted, right?

notemeal

« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2016, 01:44:17 pm »
Fellippe:

How hard would it be to open up an $INCLUDE: xxx.bi  file in a separate IDE or even another editor of the user's choice if someone was to either:

a: (typing) put the cursor somewhere over the $INCLUDE line (maybe it would have to be on the file name?) and hit an F key (F1 already "knows" which word the cursor is on)
b: (mousing)  mouse appropriate double click on the $INCLUDE line or file name

It would be VERY interesting if the IDE could insert the code right into the code you are working on (maybe in a different font/color) and maintain line numbers.  Even QB45 would not let you directly edit the actual INCLUDE file.  You had to open it as a text file and work with it and save it, if I remember correctly.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 06:57:52 pm by notemeal »

FellippeHeitor

• LET IT = BE
    • QB64.org
« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2016, 04:32:03 am »
notemeal,

All suggestions noted. I'll let you know if they ever make it (1.2?)

Thanks a bunch,

Fellippe.

notemeal

« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2016, 08:18:43 am »
Hey Mr. IDE (aka F.h).  I have a (tiny - should be easy to implement) request.  It is in relation to the cursor in the IDE.  I have noticed that I have a problem locating the cursor at times, especially when it is off to the far right side of the screen.  The request is to have an adjustable size cursor, say up to 3 pixels high, the 1 to 3 being from the bottom up as in the last 2 numbers in the statement:

LOCATE 12, 40, 1, 6, 8

The full cursor is already reserved for overtyping (not inserting) and anything more than 3 pixels of width gets to looking like an overtype cursor.

FellippeHeitor

• LET IT = BE
    • QB64.org
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2016, 05:02:54 pm »
Hi notemeal!

I also felt the cursor was a tad too thin when I started using the IDE, but then I got used to it and it hardly bothers me anymore. Including a way to customize it doesn't really sound that hard and I'm glad you suggested it.

However, so you don't have to wait too long just to have such a minor change, I'd like to give you quick and easy steps to make the customization on your own copy of QB64 right now. The line that must be changed is line 853 in source/ide/ide_methods.bas (load the file and Ctrl+G to jump straight to that line):

Code: [Select]
            'alter cursor style to match insert mode
            IF ideinsert THEN LOCATE , , , 0, 31 ELSE LOCATE , , , 8, 8

Just change it to your preferred cursor size, as you mentioned:

Code: [Select]
            'alter cursor style to match insert mode
            IF ideinsert THEN LOCATE , , , 0, 31 ELSE LOCATE , , , 6, 8

And save it. Then load source/qb64.bas and hit F11, to compile your custom version of QB64. If you're on Windows, you'll end up with qb64(2).exe in your main QB64 folder. You can use that executable as is or you can replace your existing qb64.exe, so your changes are definitive. If you're on Linux or Mac, your qb64 binary executable will be automatically replaced with the new improved version.

Hope the short tutorial above is helpful to you! Be sure to keep your suggestions for improvements coming!

Fellippe.

notemeal

« Reply #130 on: October 31, 2016, 07:08:52 pm »
Thanks F.h!  That did the trick for me.  My line number was not 853 so I just did a text search and found the line easily.

Wow, it takes some serious computing to put together an application such as QB64.  I don't know what the number of lines including INCLUDEs is but it must be a huge number.   The stuff I write usually takes a couple of seconds to compile unlike this compilation which took more than a few.  It always amazes me that we computors (people) can assemble such a large body of work without a single error (that we know of....).

Anyway, thanks again.

FellippeHeitor

• LET IT = BE
    • QB64.org
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2016, 07:13:29 pm »
My pleasure.  ;)

Mal-2

« Reply #132 on: August 16, 2017, 09:59:06 pm »
I believe the best way to appproach the source if with a particular change in mind. Also, best take yourself to the  #qb64 irc channel on freenode, and pester us with questions. We'll trry and help you through your first changes, so you can learn the ropes 'on the job', so to speak. For best timing, aim for around 14:00 UTC.

For the record, a boneheaded admin at Freenode has K-lined all of KiwiIRC and everyone on it. If you can't get in, it's not just you. They've done this before, it usually takes a few hours to reverse.
Please excuse my spaghetti code. Music is my real job, mal-2.bandcamp.com and whitemice.bandcamp.com (though I also write).
When Chuck Norris throws an exception, it is always fatal.