Author Topic: QB64 and InFrom new Linux install script updated (2017-01-21)  (Read 1396 times)

Fifi

• Over 40 years in the damned software industry!
    • My personnal G-WAN server for tests.
QB64 and InFrom new Linux install script updated (2017-01-21)
« on: January 22, 2017, 07:25:10 am »
Hello all,

As said yesterday, I've updated my multi-lingual Linux install script to put the last releases of both QB64 and InForm dated as of January 21, 2017.

As always, you can get it here: http://www.as2.com/qb64/index.html

Cheers.
Fifi.
Prior to send the arrow of truth, plunge the head in the honey pot. (a Cheyenne idiom).

STxAxTIC

Re: QB64 and InFrom new Linux install script updated (2017-01-21)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 02:41:41 pm »
Has there been any kind of consensus on the usefulness / necessity of this in terms of rolling it into the main repo? Right now its just sortof sitting there and will inevitably be forgotten in forum history.

Pete

• Cuz I sez so varmint!
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 02:45:38 pm »
Yes, we can't have useless things on this forum. It would crowd out all the useless people!

Pete  ;D
Give a man a program, and he does one thing for a day. Teach a man to program, and he does one thing for a lifetime.

Fifi

• Over 40 years in the damned software industry!
    • My personnal G-WAN server for tests.
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 02:41:16 pm »
Hi STxAxTTC,

Has there been any kind of consensus on the usefulness / necessity of this in terms of rolling it into the main repo? Right now its just sortof sitting there and will inevitably be forgotten in forum history.

I bet this script will not be forgotten in the forum history since I'll update it every single time there will be a new QB64 nightly build and/or an InForm new release.

Now with regard of a consensus in terms of rolling it into the main repo, you should know that even with a 100 per 100 pro poll, pros or cons don't matter until Galleon decides to do it.

So, you're free to use the old script or to use this new one.

Now, let me tell you that I wrote this script for 5 main reasons:

1- Correct a glitch of the old Matt Gilmore's script,

2- Provide install dialogs in different languages (currently 5 and more will be added) because there are more worldwide computer users having different desktop GUIs than those using English,

3- Clean up the QB64 compressed file of almost 1000 ghost files that represent 3 Mb unnecessary to download (think to users with low bandwidth),

4- Use the tar.bz2 option Vs the inefficient tar.gz that gives a new gain of almost 10 per 100 (once again, think to users with low bandwidth),

5- Install QB64 and InForm at the same time to propose a coherent package to newcomers.

So, I think it's a good idea to propose this script to Galleon, if he ever wants to respond because he's the only one who'll decide to put it or not in the main repo as well as to both clean up the QB64 compressed file and change the compression method.

And on another point, when (if) the dialog messages will be separated from the QB64 code itself into a separate file (as this should have been done from the origin for such a wonderful project), I'll participate actively to the translation.

If I remember well, QB 4.5 and PDS were available in no less than 29 different languages, didn’t they?

Cheers.
Fifi
Prior to send the arrow of truth, plunge the head in the honey pot. (a Cheyenne idiom).