Author Topic: QB64-SDL to be officially discontinued Feb 1st 2015  (Read 3432 times)

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
QB64-SDL to be officially discontinued Feb 1st 2015
« on: January 16, 2015, 07:49:31 pm »
I will be discontinuing all support for the SDL version of QB64 at qb64.net on Feb 1st 2015. All downloads (official and unofficial) for QB64-SDL will be removed. The reason is simple. QB64 cannot afford to have its development/support efforts split across multiple versions.

If you feel passionately about this, let me remind you that QB64-SDL (like QB64-GL) is open source and you are entitled to host and/or continue its development off-site if you so wish.

On another note, I realize that there have been some very stable versions of QB64-GL released as dirty builds recently and I'll be selecting one of them to be the new primary download.
Something old... Something new... Something borrowed... Something blue...

SMcNeill

Re: QB64-SDL to be officially discontinued Feb 1st 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 08:19:31 pm »
Another thing which I think would be greatly appreciated by a lot of people would be a fix to the UPDATE system
That's probably never going to happen, and it certainly is never ever going to happen to the 'dirty' builds for security reasons.

I can understand the principal behind not having update go to the dirty builds, but if you're going to remove SDL completely and choose a build to replace it, can we have update point to that new version instead?

If not, then you really should disable the routine completely inside the IDE so that someone doesn't check it to try and stay current and instead 'upgrade' to the SDL version (or crash, or whatever will happen after Feb 1 with it).
http://bit.ly/Color32BI -- A set of color CONST for use in 32 bit mode, as a BI library.

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 10:08:44 pm »
The update system has already been disabled/partially stripped out of QB64-GL so there's no issues there.

All downloads of SDL & update files will no longer be available. I don't see how it will be able to accidentally change versions after I do this.

Automatic update systems are great in theory, but overall the cons of maintaining an update system outweigh the pros, particularly for a programming language. For those keen to keep on the bleeding edge of current, there is always the repository option.

Richard Notley

• QwerKey
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 04:23:38 am »
Hello, would it be true to say that any .bas programs created in v0954 will always work with GL version?  I downloaded the latest GL version recently and my mouse would not work in the IDE and the thing ran stutteringly.  I am going to stick with my stable SDL version, so would it then be worth submitting any programs which I create?

Richard

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 07:45:21 am »
Hello, would it be true to say that any .bas programs created in v0954 will always work with GL version?
Most of them will work, check the bugs/incompatibilities stickied post for a list of what isn't fully implemented yet. You may run into issues with MIDI and 256-color image handling. Anything else is probably a bug and should be reported.

I downloaded the latest GL version recently and my mouse would not work in the IDE and the thing ran stutteringly.
We will continue to address these issues as they come up but we need specific details. Which OS and which dirty-build time-stamp you downloaded would be a good start. This sounds like a thread-prioritization issue, you could try grabbing the latest dirty build '2015_01_18__05_57_08', and slapping a _FPS 20 command at the top of source\qb64.bas. Save it as something else (so do you don't overwrite qb64.exe) and run. Let me know how it goes.

I am going to stick with my stable SDL version, so would it then be worth submitting any programs which I create?
Absolutely, but if they don't happen to function in QB64-GL yet for one of the above reasons be prepared to field a few questions.

Richard Notley

• QwerKey
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 10:37:25 am »
OK then.  Sometime after 01-02-15 (or for all non-Brits 02-01-15?) I'll download the latest QB64.  I'll try all my recent work - in a completely different folder, of course - and if it's good, I'll change over, otherwise I'll comment in the Bugs section.  Here's hoping that all 549 of us have no problems.

Richard

Kobolt

• "Badges, we don't need no stinkin badges!"
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 11:13:53 am »
With the currently unsupported commands, I can't seem to recall any of them being implemented in the time I've been coming here. Are they actually abandoned commands or is there actually a plan of implementing them? I'm not referring to any one in particular just as an overall question.

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 02:30:05 pm »
With the currently unsupported commands, I can't seem to recall any of them being implemented in the time I've been coming here. Are they actually abandoned commands or is there actually a plan of implementing them? I'm not referring to any one in particular just as an overall question.
It sounds like you are talking about the unimplemented QBASIC commands. This decision is unrelated to those. The goal of QB64 is to implement all of those too.

Clippy

• I LOVE π = 4 * ATN(1)    Use the QB64 WIKI >>>
    • Pete's Qbasic Site
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 04:36:36 pm »
Why get rid of SDL before GL is fully compatible or better? It is not hurting anything here and people still use it!

GL still has a long way to go to be worth anything and what ever happened to Android, the entire reason we needed GL in my opinion!

I say keep a download of SDL available for somebody to upgrade some day, what's the hurry? GL's going nowhere...
QB64 WIKI: Main Page
Download Q-Basics Demo: Q-Basics.zip
Download QB64 BAT, IconAdder and VBS shortcuts: QB64BAT.zip
QB64 SDL

Dav

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 06:52:55 pm »
I use both SDL & GL versions, but wanted to mention to anyone wanting to make utilities with QB64 for windows boot disks should grab a copy of the SDL version for that purpose before it goes down.  The QB64-SDL EXE's will run in a standard WinPE.

- Dav
(Visit Dav's Qbasic Site) (Grab my IDE)

Clippy

• Pete's Qbasic Site
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 06:51:37 am »
I've downloaded all of the version 954 downloads to Drop Box just in case!

It appears that I also have a version that was not upgraded in 2015 too!

The Windows .954 downloads available now are larger than the original one I downloaded long ago!
QB64 SDL

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 07:14:17 am »
Why get rid of SDL before GL is fully compatible or better? It is not hurting anything here and people still use it!
I've already stated development/support reasons.
Another is user-base. At present some people still use SDL which means if you want to write a program everyone can use you cannot use any of the features added to QB64 since April 2012.
I'll be focusing heavily on finishing the missing parts in QB64-GL and correcting any GL specific bugs over the coming month with special emphasis on Linux/MacOSX which has been quite neglected (I'm thinking _CLIPBOARD & _MOUSEMOVEMENTX/Y here). I believe, rightly or wrongly, that having a unified version will encourage others to join in the development effort or at least help identify outstanding issues so they can be properly investigated/corrected.

Clippy

• Pete's Qbasic Site
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 07:28:12 am »
Well apparently SDL .954 was updated since 2012 as the downloads are larger for the Windows version. I also have a download from 2012 that is smaller I saved a while back.

Pete has an older version before .954 and he likes it because it doesn't have the console window loading when the IDE starts up...

In any case, if SDL is removed there will not be any more updates from developers either.
QB64 SDL