Author Topic: QB64 Linux Installer  (Read 14558 times)

DSMan195276

• Yes
QB64 Linux Installer
« on: January 04, 2013, 01:08:40 am »
IMPORTANT: Since version .980 of QB64-GL, this script is now the default installer. If you're installing SDL, then you should use the script attached here, however for GL it's recommended to download the latest version and use the installer from there. You can get v.980 here.

Currently Supported Versions of QB64:
QB64-SDL v0954 (Default)
QB64-GL version .978

Currently Supported Distros:
Arch Linux
Fedora
Linux Mint
Ubuntu (And Ubuntu spins such as but not limited to XUbuntu, KUbuntu, LUbuntu, etc...
Debian

To install QB64 using this installer, download the .tar.gz file that's attached to this post, and then extract and run the script file that's inside (qb64_installer_*.sh file). QB64 will be installed directly into the folder you run the script in (I recommend creating a new folder just for QB64 and running the script inside that). As long as your distro is on the supported list, dependencies will automatically be determined and installed. Both the SDL and GL versions have been tested on the distros listed and compile on all of them. If you want to install the GL version simply download 'qb64_installer_gl.tar.gz' instead of the normal installer, else just grab the qb64_installer_sdl.tar.gz (SDL is currently the recommend version to use).

If you have a distro you'd like supported let me know and I'll see what I can do. I make no promises on how long it'll take to add another distro as it depends a lot on when I have free time and if I've picked-up other work, but it's a fairly simple process as long as I can get a ISO and run it live off of a USB (If it can't be run live off of USB it may take a bit longer to get supported). Feel free to try and add a distro by yourself, it's a fairly simple script (Even simpler if your distro is based off of one of the already supported, which is fairly likely). If you manage to get support for a distro going then I'd be happy to add it into the 'official' version of this script.

As of version 3 of this script, it will add a menu entry for QB64. If you want to delete this menu entry just delete the file ~/.local/share/applications/qb64.desktop. Also, this script can do rudimentary updating. Simply download the new version of the script into the same folder that you ran the old one in, and the script will remove the old qb64 executable and internal folder and then installer over it, effectivly doing an in-place upgrade.

Step-By-Step general use instructions(Applies to most of the supported distros):
1. Download the .tar.gz file corresponding to the version of QB64 you want to try (SDL recommended)
2. Create a folder called 'qb64' in the location of your choosing (Put it on your desktop if you want to keep it simple)
3. Navigate to your Downloads directory and double click the downloaded .tar.gz file, it should bring up a file archiver program.
4. Using that program, extract the ".sh" file inside into the qb64 folder you created.
5. Open the qb64 folder and double-click the script (If you're given the option, choose 'run in terminal'). If you don't find any option and you don't see a window come-up, try right-clicking on it and goto 'Open With -> Terminal'.
6. Once you see a window come-up, the script will start to run. At some point, you may be prompted for your password. Simply type in your password and the script will continue to install QB64 and then finish (Don't be worried if you don't see anything appear when you type in your password, this is standard. Just type in your full password and then press enter).
7. At this point, unless you see some error reported by the script, QB64 is done being installed. To run QB64, you have a few options. Inside of the qb64 folder is a 'run_qb64.sh' script that effectively acts like a short-cut to run the QB64 program. You can also try running the 'qb64' program directly (Though this is known to not always work -- The short-cut script will work however). The installer will also place a QB64 entry in your menu which you can find in the 'development/programming' section.

Matt

Update: GL version updated to .978
Update: GL version updated to 5 -- Added separate archive for installing GL
Update: Changed names of archives and added menu entry
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 06:40:03 pm by DSMan195276 »
"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken" -- Psalm 55:22
QB64 Linux Installer

LINUXQB64gltester

• Anyone that likes Art
Re: QB64 Linux Installer
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 11:23:47 am »
This worked great for me, for Linux Mint 13,  recently installed also, everything worked good, it even downlaoded qb64 for me, and once it was all done, ran the installlation, and qb64 started up.
 Thanks for this, ,
For off topic discussions :
Non-QB64 Related Discussion Forum
Also
My Experimenting Forum
"QB64 has a great future!"

OlDosLover

• OlDosLover
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 07:14:02 pm »
Hi all,
    I also can confirm the above guide works correctly and painlessly to get QB64 going on Linux.
OlDosLover.

Clippy

• I LOVE π = 4 * ATN(1)    Use the QB64 WIKI >>>
    • Pete's Qbasic Site
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 09:46:47 pm »
Is this what you want in the WIKI Matt? I can wait for more successes if you want.
QB64 WIKI: Main Page
Download Q-Basics Code Demo: Q-Basics.zip
Download QB64 BAT, IconAdder and VBS shortcuts: QB64BAT.zip
Download QB64 SDL: QB64v0954-win15.7z

DSMan195276

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 09:59:37 pm »
Is this what you want in the WIKI Matt? I can wait for more successes if you want.

Well, it's probably worth mentioning this installer in the Linux installation part of the Wiki. Puppy isn't actually supported by this installer though, so we can't just replace that page with this. It might be supported in the future, but with no good way to figure out what Puppy the installer is running on as well as pretty much every Puppy being different, it seems unlikely I'll give this installer Puppy support. I still have to go back and redo the Puppy Wiki page a bit to reflect what may have to be done for some other puppies, I'll let you know when I do that.

Thanks for asking,

Matt
"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken" -- Psalm 55:22
QB64 Linux Installer

LINUXQB64gltester

• Anyone that likes Art
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 07:56:50 pm »
Will this also work, now for the V0.0978, version, just now released,.. ?
thanks , from Garry
Also
My Experimenting Forum

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 02:14:04 pm »
There's no significant structural difference between the two, so it should work.
Something old... Something new... Something borrowed... Something blue...

LINUXQB64gltester

• Anyone that likes Art
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 02:18:39 pm »
Ok thanks,
 All though I all ready had the repository version, running,  I tried the installer too and it downloaded the qb64v0978-lnx.tar.gz just fine. and installed ok.
Also
My Experimenting Forum

DSMan195276

• Yes
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2013, 07:38:46 pm »
Sorry, I should have noted that I updated the installer for the latest release of QB64-GL. You can always check what version the installer is going to install by default by checking the versions at top of this post (I update it to contain the latest version).

Matt
QB64 Linux Installer

OlDosLover

• OlDosLover
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2013, 10:40:50 pm »
Hi all,
    Thanks Matt!
OlDosLover.

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 04:01:09 pm »
Hi Matt,

I've decided to replace the content of setup_lnx.sh with your installer's content. If you have any objections, let me know. I will include your content in its entirety, just changing the name of the file to setup_lnx.sh. There's no way I can provide the range of distro support your installer gives, and your understanding on Linux shell scripts trumps mine 10 to 1.

Also, with your permission I'd like to add you as a Google-Code contributor so you can update this file yourself in future if you desire.

DSMan195276

• Yes
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 06:16:12 pm »
Hi Galleon,

That sounds good to me. The only thing worth nothing is that my installer in it's current state can't completely replace setup_lnx.sh. The script by default is setup to download a specific version of QB64 to install, and it also won't install QB64 at all if a non-supported distro is detected (I just says to try using setup_lnx.sh on it's own). These are all easy enough to remedy though, so I went ahead and modified the script and attached it below.

Also, it may be worth adding the ./qb64icon32.png file right into the release, that way I can remove wget as a dependency. I use the qb64icon32.png for creating a menu entry, so I do think it's a pretty handy feature. In the code, I kept the name as "qb64icon32.png" and left a spot to specify it's location relative to the ./qb64 folder, it's the 'QB64_ICON_PATH' variable.

If you could add me as a contributor that would be helpful, thank you. This version of the script isn't version specific so it *shouldn't* require much changes for each new version of QB64 besides possible compilation steps, but that will make it easier to add more distros or update dependencies if needed.

I'm not sure this should be given the green light until I can at least test Ubuntu and Fedora, but I can confirm on Arch that if it can't detect the distro it will go ahead and run the default compilation, and besides that nothing else changed from the last version of the script except adding a few more packages for Ubuntu and Fedora (For sound).

Matt
QB64 Linux Installer

Galleon

• Administrator
  • QB Forever
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2013, 06:46:10 pm »
I've added you to the Google Code project. I recommend you log in and change your PROFILE-->SETTINGS to display your Email address using ... asap, as I don't seem to be able to apply that option for you.

Thanks for your efforts, I've included your custom version of setup_lnx.sh in my next rep update, unless you beat me to it! (in which case I'll make sure I don't overwrite yours)

I'm not that comfortable about adding an icon to the repository atm, sure we used to use the old...
QB
...box icon but that could change, so I think having it WGET it is appropriate for now, or maybe omit it entirely.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 06:56:01 pm by Galleon »