IMPORTANT: Since version .980 of QB64-GL, this script is now the default installer. If you're installing SDL, then you should use the script attached here, however for GL it's recommended to download the latest version and use the installer from there. You can get v.980 here
.Currently Supported Versions of QB64:
QB64-SDL v0954 (Default)
QB64-GL version .978Currently Supported Distros:
Ubuntu (And Ubuntu spins such as but not limited to XUbuntu, KUbuntu, LUbuntu, etc...
To install QB64 using this installer, download the .tar.gz file that's attached to this post, and then extract and run the script file that's inside (qb64_installer_*.sh file). QB64 will be installed directly into the folder you run the script in (I recommend creating a new folder just for QB64 and running the script inside that). As long as your distro is on the supported list, dependencies will automatically be determined and installed. Both the SDL and GL versions have been tested on the distros listed and compile on all of them. If you want to install the GL version simply download 'qb64_installer_gl.tar.gz' instead of the normal installer, else just grab the qb64_installer_sdl.tar.gz (SDL is currently the recommend version to use).
If you have a distro you'd like supported let me know and I'll see what I can do. I make no promises on how long it'll take to add another distro as it depends a lot on when I have free time and if I've picked-up other work, but it's a fairly simple process as long as I can get a ISO and run it live off of a USB (If it can't be run live off of USB it may take a bit longer to get supported). Feel free to try and add a distro by yourself, it's a fairly simple script (Even simpler if your distro is based off of one of the already supported, which is fairly likely). If you manage to get support for a distro going then I'd be happy to add it into the 'official' version of this script.
As of version 3 of this script, it will add a menu entry for QB64. If you want to delete this menu entry just delete the file ~/.local/share/applications/qb64.desktop. Also, this script can do rudimentary updating. Simply download the new version of the script into the same folder that you ran the old one in, and the script will remove the old qb64 executable and internal folder and then installer over it, effectivly doing an in-place upgrade.
Step-By-Step general use instructions(Applies to most of the supported distros):
1. Download the .tar.gz file corresponding to the version of QB64 you want to try (SDL recommended)
2. Create a folder called 'qb64' in the location of your choosing (Put it on your desktop if you want to keep it simple)
3. Navigate to your Downloads directory and double click the downloaded .tar.gz file, it should bring up a file archiver program.
4. Using that program, extract the ".sh" file inside into the qb64 folder you created.
5. Open the qb64 folder and double-click the script (If you're given the option, choose 'run in terminal'). If you don't find any option and you don't see a window come-up, try right-clicking on it and goto 'Open With -> Terminal'.
6. Once you see a window come-up, the script will start to run. At some point, you may be prompted for your password. Simply type in your password and the script will continue to install QB64 and then finish (Don't be worried if you don't see anything appear when you type in your password, this is standard. Just type in your full password and then press enter).
7. At this point, unless you see some error reported by the script, QB64 is done being installed. To run QB64, you have a few options. Inside of the qb64 folder is a 'run_qb64.sh' script that effectively acts like a short-cut to run the QB64 program. You can also try running the 'qb64' program directly (Though this is known to not always work -- The short-cut script will work however). The installer will also place a QB64 entry in your menu which you can find in the 'development/programming' section.
Update: GL version updated to .978
Update: GL version updated to 5 -- Added separate archive for installing GL
Update: Changed names of archives and added menu entry